Thread: Windows 10 Pro - Additional License Key

Windows 10 Pro - Additional License Key

Does anyone here know if I can purchase an additional W10Pro license key without paying full retail for the key and the media? I already have the media, just would like another license key so I can run it on my old laptop as well as in a VM on my iMac.

Thoughts?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The media is sort of meaningless. You can download Windows 10 (home or pro) from the Microsoft website. I think you'd have to pay full price for another computer.

In fact, you're better off downloading from the Microsoft site because your download will be up-to-date. If you use a copy on an old media you'll have to go through all the updates.

Mike

[I don't know how legit it is but you can buy a Windows 10 Pro key on eBay.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dennis, I've purchased licenses discounted on Amazon.com...both of the licenses I have for VMs in my Macs were bought that way. I see it as low as $97. If you don't need domain login, you can use Home which is available for about $72.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    They used to sell OEM licenses, which were way cheaper than the retail license. But they were only good for the original machine on which they were installed. Don't know if they still do cause it's been a while since I've had to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    They used to sell OEM licenses, which were way cheaper than the retail license. But they were only good for the original machine on which they were installed. Don't know if they still do cause it's been a while since I've had to buy one.
    I suspect that's what they sell on eBay because the license is fairly cheap.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Frank, "system builder" licenses seem to be available on Amazon...
    --

I bought Windows 10 home in a store, then paid $100 through Microsoft's website to upgrade to professional. The license was attached to my microsoft account.

Then I changed the motherboard in my computer and it wouldn't activate on the new hardware. It took 3+ hours on the phone with India, and I had to send Microsoft the receipts for the hardware and the e-mails for the license purchase before they'd reactivate it.

So you might keep that future difficulty in mind if you're buying a gray-market license key.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I bought Windows 10 home in a store, then paid $100 through Microsoft's website to upgrade to professional. The license was attached to my microsoft account.

Then I changed the motherboard in my computer and it wouldn't activate on the new hardware. It took 3+ hours on the phone with India, and I had to send Microsoft the receipts for the hardware and the e-mails for the license purchase before they'd reactivate it.

So you might keep that future difficulty in mind if you're buying a gray-market license key.
    Of course, for the price of those gray-market licenses you could just purchase another one. On eBay I see them for about $10 or less.

Mike

A legitimate Win10 Pro license can be had for under a hundred bucks...
    --