Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installed Shelf On New Bench

Tool Rack Added:

I added a tool rack to the bench this AM. After a couple of weeks of posting the bench is finished, it really is now. The tool rack even has a coat of Tung oil, you can’t get more finished than that.

Before Tung oil:

benchToolRackNew.jpg

Finished with one coat of Tung oil:

benchToolRackNewA.jpg

The fat lady is taking her bow.

ken

This looks great Ken! I especially like the barriers on the sides to prevent escapees. That is the kind of touch that I would look at afterwards and wish I had thought of during planning.

Quote Originally Posted by freiler thompson View Post
    This looks great Ken! I especially like the barriers on the sides to prevent escapees. That is the kind of touch that I would look at afterwards and wish I had thought of during planning.
    Thanks Freller,

It comes from having made most mistakes that can be made on previous builds . That is one of the reasons I advocate making early benches simple, quick, and cheap because it takes a few builds to work out the bugs. BTW, this build will be posted in the classifieds soon (I want to work on it for a bit to make sure everything works well together) to make room for my next build. I want to make one with a Oak base vs. the Poplar base I've used on the last few builds and I'm thinking about using Soft Maple for the slab. It should be a fun build.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.

I know what you mean! If you use cheap wood then it is not s big deal to tear a piece off and try again or to just redo the vise on it. I would love to have a 4 inch thick purpleheart Roubo, but then it would be too nice to mess up and where are you going to work?