Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cold creep in modified PVA glues?

I’ve taking time to visit my work near me. Once I built a gate out of my very best vertical grain WRC. Someone painted it purple I was so mad. I wanted to poke my finger into someone’s chest and remind them it wasn’t supposed to be painted.
    I would have used fence pickets if it were to be painted.
    Im still mad about it.
    Heres the gate/ door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Like it! But it needs to be taller! But I'm sure it will look great once it's painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Like it! But it needs to be taller! But I'm sure it will look great once it's painted.
    Thanks not funny Mel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    What, pray tell, is PU?

Why do we have to use acronyms? It makes reading posts so difficult sometimes. And who wants to have to search anywhere to figure out what somebody said?

I know as soon as somebody says what PU means I’ll say, “Aha, I should have guessed that."

But right now what is PU, please? Have mercy.
    Maybe "pick-up" truck. I'm with you Tony - I hate these acronyms like RAS, TS, etc. Too many lazy typists. I always try to use the full name - except in some recent post where I used the term "VFD" figuring that most of the CNC folks would know what this means (Variable Frequency Drive).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

And of course everyone knows MDF, HTML, etc.

David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 10-14-2019 at 6:53 AM.

They are only acronyms if they can be pronounced as a word. And I said in the beginning they would cause acrimony!

No, Mel, that don’t have to be pronounced as a word. I checked three dictionaries to be sure: Miriam-Webster, dictionary.com and the one called the Free dictionary or something.

I’ll keep looking and if I find one that says acronyms have to be pronounceable (is that a word?) I’ll report back.

Tony, next one you check should be the Oxford English Dictionary. I do find your post interesting as there are so MANY
    words that were coined for a specific meaning that have been appropriated because people ....want to. I call that
    "creeping highfalutinism". It makes it more dificult to write clearly and succinctly. Replica was coined to mean a copy
    made the guy who made the original; its seldom used correctly. So a wise buyer will probably not buy an old piece
    of art listed as "replica" without making some calls.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-14-2019 at 7:07 PM.