Thread: Maple Hollow Form

Maple Hollow Form

It's been several years since I did a hollow form. But doing that ambrosia maple vase yesterday put me in the mood. This is from the same slab but lacks the beetle markings so I'll just call it plain old maple.
    9" diameter and a little under 4" high. Walnut collar with a maple hat. Not crazy about the finial. Probably replace it. Couple coats of WOP and it's really soaking it up. Probably take 3 more coats before it's done
    20190908_173155.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very nice! What did you use to hollow it out?

Beautiful piece John. Seeing the photos always makes me want to get out and turn.

I’m pretty new to turning and have never used WOP - what’s your process? Do you put anything on prior to the WOP to pop the grain? Buffing?

Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Very nice! What did you use to hollow it out?
    Thanks Bill!
    I used a couple of hollowing tools...One that I made (that I call Bertha's Big Sister)
    Stick.jpg

And I have a Sorby hollow master that takes care of the full shoulder (don't have a picture of mine handy so I'll use one from their website). Probably could hollow the whole thing with it but I'm kinda partial to the big stick
    831862.0.jpg
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Beautiful piece John. Seeing the photos always makes me want to get out and turn.

I’m pretty new to turning and have never used WOP - what’s your process? Do you put anything on prior to the WOP to pop the grain? Buffing?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Thanks Tom
    WOP is a fairly easy finish to apply....Long ago I applied BLO to pop the grain, but don't anymore. If I remember correctly it was because I had a beautiful piece with like 4 different colors swirling around and I wanted to pop that gorgeous figure. But alas....the BLO turned it all brown. But other than that...it does a fine job. Even WOP will add a bit of an amber tinge...but in this case, that's what I wanted.
    My finish of choice is clear lacquer because I like the original beauty of the wood to show through.
    My personal process for WOP is 3 coats with 30 minutes between....let it cure....sand very lightly with 320...then finish coat(s). Sometimes I'll buff, but almost always do the orange oil/beeswax stuff.
    ~john