Thread: Is there an equivalent to the Aigner Distometer that is still being manufactured?

Is there an equivalent to the Aigner Distometer that is still being manufactured?

The main thing that is appealing to me is the length of the shoe, allowing for measurement over a larger gap.

Secondarily is that it's profile allows it to be laid on the side for horizontal measurement.

Most of the height gauge products I've seen have narrow feet, or have a measuring blade that protrudes only a short distance from the device.

The closest thing I've seen is the iGaging Snap Check, but I was wondering if anyone knew of other, similar devices?

a picture might help. planer/shaper gauges can be had for cheap. Just make sure they have at least one screw on height pin thing. Better if they have a set spanning a good range.
    Bil lD.

look at a Starrett #599 to see what I am talking about. A metal planer or shaper is very different from woodworking tools.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-08-2019 at 2:13 PM.

Here's a picture of the Aigner:

distometer.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/82...03ab268079.jpg

I wasn't familiar with the 599. A bit of searching on Google suggests that it is no longer being manufactured by Starrett -- is that correct? Or is it being made under another number?

I used the link I did because I could not find it on the Starrett web site. I guess it is no longer made. Shapers and planers become obsolete around the 1970's when steel mills started selling a semi finished product that did not have 1/16" thick mill scale still on it.
    Think of the difference from 1900 2x4's rough surfaced loosely planed to thickness vs today's 2x4 surfaced all four sides at once so they should be square and parallel if they were done dry. No carpenter today uses a plane to make a 2x4 fit just because it is too thick unless a standard size 2x4 is not what he needs.
    Bill D