Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rats, in my new car

Get a electronic rat or mouse trap. The rat size is effective on mice too. Baited properly and I usually have the rat in a day or less. Drop him in the garbage can out of the trap and it is ready to go again. No fuss and no need to handle a dead animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Glue traps do work, but beware that he may flop around and get glue trap goo all over your engine. We had one enter our home and so I put glue traps on the floor where I knew he was coming in through a window. I forgot the traps were there and stepped in them. It was a mess to get off!!!
    Of all the "non-biological" controls, glue traps seem to work the best. Accidental contact can be resolved with vegetable oil (the only use for that stuff, IMO.)

On the subject, get a hungry cat, and chain him to the radiator.

Bernie, which model do you recommend? My brother has one also and after a couple months of no action, he got a rat last week.

Good tip on the veggie oil Doug. I was wondering what to do if my dog stepped on, or worse, sniffed one of the glue traps.

Got hold of my bug guy today, and he is bringing fresh bait blocks for my rat feeders.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Good tip on the veggie oil Doug. I was wondering what to do if my dog stepped on, or worse, sniffed one of the glue traps.
    When a rat or mouse is dispatched with a glue trap, what is the ultimate cause of death? It is the ennui.

We once had a king rat that would survey our kitchen at his leisure. He laughed at our amusements left out for his mortal benefit, declaring them unfit carriage for his departure to the beyond. What finally caught him was a ring of glue traps around the base of the dishwasher. We heard the cries as he dragged and rolled himself across the floor, clothed with glue traps. We did the only thing we could. We dropped a cinder block on him, and went out to a movie. When we came back, glue traps were strewn across the floor, but the rat was not there. This rat had no ennui, apparently, but on the bright side, he never showed up again.

The bottom line: keep your vegetable oil in a secure location, and don't tell anyone about it.

There's always these things--
    RT.jpg

As to poison- most of our recreation toys reside at our favorite boat harbor, and every kind of varmint known to man does too. Nothing more fun than hearing wife yell 'OMG there's a mouse under the pillow!' in the motorhome or houseboat. So for the past 13 years I've routinely laid out mouse blocks, in the lower compartments of the boats and motorhome, and on the ground around where they're parked on the hard. A few things I've noticed:
    -- they must taste like candy to mice because they're never around long, and more than once they've eaten thru sealed bags to get at them-

--blocks on the ground or under the boat dock DO keep the mice out of the rigs, for the most part--

-- when I find dead mice inside (my house too btw), they're always right in the middle of the floor, not hiding along or inside walls, but right in the wide open, as if they were hoping someone would help them.

-- at the harbor there's scads of feral cats running around, Never have I seen one that got sick or died. For that matter, I've never seen ANY sick or dead animals, including mice, around the harbor, and I go thru a lot of mouse blocks. At home I just make sure to put them where pets can't get to them. Never lost a neighbor's cat either, to my knowledge.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    There's always these things--
    RT.jpg

As to poison- most of our recreation toys reside at our favorite boat harbor, and every kind of varmint known to man does too. Nothing more fun than hearing wife yell 'OMG there's a mouse under the pillow!' in the motorhome or houseboat. So for the past 13 years I've routinely laid out mouse blocks, in the lower compartments of the boats and motorhome, and on the ground around where they're parked on the hard. A few things I've noticed:
    -- they must taste like candy to mice because they're never around long, and more than once they've eaten thru sealed bags to get at them-

--blocks on the ground or under the boat dock DO keep the mice out of the rigs, for the most part--

-- when I find dead mice inside (my house too btw), they're always right in the middle of the floor, not hiding along or inside walls, but right in the wide open, as if they were hoping someone would help them.

-- at the harbor there's scads of feral cats running around, Never have I seen one that got sick or died. For that matter, I've never seen ANY sick or dead animals, including mice, around the harbor, and I go thru a lot of mouse blocks. At home I just make sure to put them where pets can't get to them. Never lost a neighbor's cat either, to my knowledge.
    Mouse traps baited with peanut butter can be very effective if placed in a mouse traffic area, at least the plastic ones (the wooden ones are nearly worthless.) An equivalent rat trap can result in a scary near-amputation of a digit when it goes off (in the middle of the night on a fridge raid, say, or reaching around for where you dropped your keys.) These things are serious mojo, more frightening than a spinning naked saw blade.

I've observed poisoned rats that died inside a wall, on more than one occasion, and the smell is horrendous for several weeks afterwards. Mice, OTOH, probably not so bad because they're so much smaller, less to rot. At least I haven't noticed.