Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decided it's time for a vase

Thanks Robert. Love documenting the work although I tend to get involved in the turning and sometimes leave out key steps.
    As far as the steady rest...this piece has given me opportunities that I wouldn't normally have. It's great and Dennis put a lot of love into it.
    The slides are 3/4 square while the guides are 1" square. I think it's standard channel found at home depot.
    Apparently the mount for the lathe bed was the tricky part.
    Here's some close ups.
    20190908_085213.jpg
    20190908_085225.jpg
    20190908_085244.jpg
    20190908_085317.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Really nice work and self learning is the best. I switched to vases and urns decades ago--FYI--there are many really great boring bits out there that really make boring easy even with handheld tools. But I admire home made and frugal tools too.

Thanks Robert Yup, I love to explore and learn new things. It might take a little more time but I think our personal style is the reward. (unfortunately my personal style looks like a sea cucumber from time to time)
    ~john

John, if you are serious about hollowing there is one foolproof tool out there. The entire tool is high dollar but the cutter head(listed as a power head) is a fraction of the whole tool. You are a handy man and the cutter is easily mounted in a 3/8" hole in any shaft you have. It is several times as fast and nonclogging as the rest. I've used it on a homemade Jamison type rig for 25 years--it cuts and not scrapes as many do. It is handled by Packard tools --Pro-Forme tools by Woodcut. Very easily sharpened and lasts for years even at semi-pro work levels I hollow to 20" when Feel up to it. Send a note if you have questions. Also It will Not grab if adjusted like any tool must be.

Just visited their site and browsed the Pro Forme tools. Actually looks perfect. Heck, I haven't spent any money in a long time. Maybe I oughta splurge just a little!!!
    Thanks for the tip Mr. Baccus
    ~john

Thanks for the posts. Look there may be a steady in my future!

Thanks for the posts John. When I joined several years ago many folks posted their work and process and many offered comments and critiques. I learned a lot from those. I have yet to try anything that thin and deep, but you inspire me to try.

Been a while since I’ve visited SMC, nice to see ya John and making a nice deep form! I’ve not done any hollowing in a while, not that I’ve got it in me to stick a piece of iron down in the hole without some assistance .
    I do like the shape, and extra details. 👍
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks Tim
    It was pretty fun to get back to hollowing. A little un-nerving but just like riding a bike
    ~john