Thread: Spots in wood?

Spots in wood?

Anyone know what these white spots in my dried maple are and if there is any concern with them being used in a cutting board? Only in this one board. They are not soft and appear to be discolored solid wood but didn’t know if it were something like a fungus or whatnot. This board was cut so the spots run throughout and not just the surface. thanks.

0167A6C2-91E4-4AAB-91E3-E2AAD9D2D13C.jpg

They are: UGLY. And even the color is bad. I think the doctors call it "spalting".

I thought spalting was the black lines in wood but regardless I pulled the 3 pieces with it on them out and replaced them. Seems like totally fine wood but don’t want to ruin a good cutting board just in case. Thanks.

I believe that is chatoyance or figure, which is much better looking on face grain rather than edge grain. Could be wrong though.

Matt, in this case it had the same look on both the face grain and the edge grain after cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I believe that is chatoyance or figure, which is much better looking on face grain rather than edge grain. Could be wrong though.

Matt, in this case it had the same look on both the face grain and the edge grain after cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

Not sure what it is but I don't think it is harmful in a cutting board. I've seen this in figured maple when cut at certain angles. It doesn't seem to be soft but will chip out during working the surface. Just a grain phenomenon I think.

It is the beginning stages of rot, white rot. It also appears your maple wasn't cut and dried quickly enough as it looks like it has gray stain. Other than color it should be fine. Once wood is below ~20% moisture it won't continue to rot.

It's also a bad idea to glue up that board on the end (left side) with that grain oriented perpendicular to the others. You are asking for a glue joint failure.
    Last edited by Jason Mikits; 09-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks. I think you are seeing my workbench on the left he left that looks perpendicular. That’s what the boards were sitting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mikits View Post
    It is the beginning stages of rot, white rot. It also appears your maple wasn't cut and dried quickly enough as it looks like it has gray stain. Other than color it should be fine. Once wood is below ~20% moisture it won't continue to rot.

It's also a bad idea to glue up that board on the end (left side) with that grain oriented perpendicular to the others. You are asking for a glue joint failure.

Ooops! Sorry, you are correct. Disregard that comment.

It looks like chatoyance to me.

On 2nd thought, it looks like flecks. Do a search on flecking in wood. Here is a link to examples. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...C5&FORM=IQFRBA
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-10-2019 at 7:50 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I see spalting (or rot, depending on your preferred term) and maybe a couple of bug holes filled up with hardened frass. It would be fine for a lot of things but not what I would suggest for a cutting board for best results.
    Zach

It looks like the wood is stained. The maple looks gray - that is the stain. I am not sure what causes the white spots. Stain happens if the log sits too long in the summer before it is cut into lumber. Logs (especially hard maple) need to be cut fresh to maintain the white wood. We cut about 60% hard maple (65,000 to 70,000 bdft per day). Before painted cabinets, the white select and better was the high end grade and our bread and butter. Now it is difficult to sell because no one needs the white wood if you paint it. Paint covers anything - it just needs to be sound. Not just maple stains. Beech and white birch show stain very well, too. The darker wood doesn't show it as well.

It is really in the eye of the beholder if you like it or not. I have been spoiled by our lumber graders. I love spalted, but not stained.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 09-10-2019 at 7:41 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author