Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley #4 parts

And after sweating a few bullets, out comes the busted stud. I guess my trade school degree paid off after all
    Attached Images Attached Images

And here she is with a new knob and lever cap. Feel kinda bad for the poor #5 though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Jim,

On the #4 if you turn the knob to the left, or counter clockwise the blade does advance.

Here is a picture of the frog on the #5. Someone must have dropped it at some point because the mouth is brazed together
    I just cleaned up the knob and it does have patent dates in the knob
    Your #4 is a type 6. There are likely 3 patent dates on the lateral lever and there might be one on the chip breaker. The early chip breakers didn't have knurling on the large screw.

The early blades also had patent dates.

And after sweating a few bullets, out comes the busted stud. I guess my trade school degree paid off after all
    Being able to remove a broken bolt is an important skill many young folks are not learning these days.

And here she is with a new knob and lever cap. Feel kinda bad for the poor #5 though
    The #5 might be useable as a scrub plane if the sole doesn't mark the work.

Looks like you are on your way to a fleet of hand planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim! I'm going to leave that type 6 alone for now. The type 7 no 4 is working great! I put a quick edge on it and it makes nice thin shavings. I have a working #5 and a working #4 now, so I am going to hunt for a #7 or #8 and then I should be good to go. Can fill in the gaps later.

As far as the young folks go, I'm 27 so I guess most people consider me young yet, but I'm starting to feel older. I feel a lot of important skills are lost these days, especially in my generation of the "millennials". Most people I know my age prefer to work with CNC and fancy power tools, but I like the old ways. I get more satisfaction from a hand crafted piece than having a computer cut all my pieces for me. I know CNC's take a lot of skill with the software, but I prefer to put my skills to use actually woodworking. Besides, people that are double or triple my age know how to have an actual conversation without a smartphone and have way better stories anyway.

I hadn't considered doing that with the number 5 maybe I will give that a shot or save it for parts. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again everyone for all the great info!

Blog Entries
    Both of my #4s are type 6 as is my #4-1/2. One of my #6s is a type 4. All of my other planes are type 7 or later.

It kind of keeps my brain on its toes to remember which is which.

There was a type 11 #4 (Frankenplane) in the shop, but it was sold to another Creeker recently.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Sounds like an awesome group of planes! I love the early ones. Simple in design and built to last! And it's fun to think about the craftsman who used them before me.

I have a working #5 and a working #4 now, so I am going to hunt for a #7 or #8 and then I should be good to go. Can fill in the gaps later.
    Before getting bigger planes consider getting a #3 or a block plane first, those will be more usefull (unless you are a builder and not into fine woodworking).

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim! I'm going to leave that type 6 alone for now. The type 7 no 4 is working great! I put a quick edge on it and it makes nice thin shavings. I have a working #5 and a working #4 now, so I am going to hunt for a #7 or #8 and then I should be good to go. Can fill in the gaps later.

[edited]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Loewensteijn View Post
    Before getting bigger planes consider getting a #3 or a block plane first, those will be more usefull (unless you are a builder and not into fine woodworking).
    Fine woodworking uses jointer planes likely more than builders. Especially if one uses rough cut lumber.

Though my suggestion would be to keep an eye open for any decent planes or other tools crossing your path. Some of my tools were paid for by purchasing tools at a low price, cleaning them up and selling them at a higher price.

jtk

To get a glued up panel...one usually has to "JOINT" the edges so they meet gap free....which is where the #6, #7, and #8 jointer planes come in....

Yes, I have been using more rough cut lumber recently and would like a jointer plane for dimensioning and flattening. I also glue together quite a few panels and although lately I have been able to get away with a no 5 I have a few projects in mind that a jointer would be invaluable