Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley #4 parts

Stanley #4 parts

So I picked up a Stanley #4 type 7 today, against my better judgement, for $8. It needs a new front knob and screw and a new lever cap. I found a website for a place in Washington that sells Stanley parts and by the time I purchase parts, I could have bought a better one on eBay. Does anyone know a good source for parts? Or should I just hang onto it in case I find another one and make one good plane from 2?IMG_20190906_211117935.jpgIMG_20190906_211130104.jpgIMG_20190906_211207348.jpgIMG_20190906_211132247.jpg

Blog Entries

nhplaneparts.

I'd look at it the other way, and say you picked up a tote, chipbreaker, blade, and frog for $8, and you now have parts for that style plane if you ever need them. You could maybe get the spare parts to fix it up, but as you say, it quite likely may cost more than buying a complete plane in better condition.

The tote looks like it is in good condition, and that is definitely worth more than $8. The bolts looks to be in good condition, and those can be hard to come by; Stanley used a lot of oddball sizes. Actually, for the parts you got, $8 wasn't a bad price.

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Andrew said. Many of my planes were bought as a couple of parts or for a few parts.

There are lever caps listed BIN on ebay currently.

One of them listed is actually a type 7. Search > Stanley lever cap <.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I'd look at it the other way, and say you picked up a tote, chipbreaker, blade, and frog for $8, and you now have parts for that style plane if you ever need them. You could maybe get the spare parts to fix it up, but as you say, it quite likely may cost more than buying a complete plane in better condition.

The tote looks like it is in good condition, and that is definitely worth more than $8. The bolts looks to be in good condition, and those can be hard to come by; Stanley used a lot of oddball sizes. Actually, for the parts you got, $8 wasn't a bad price.
    ^^^This^^^
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

^^^ with Andrew, Jim and Rob ^^^ Just find another one that is missing parts, there are plenty of them.

We're building a new home and there are a few things I have to do. Recently picked up a foursquare #5 1/4 with some painted hardwood handles. The #5 1/4 is all I need for the homeowner activities. For the # 5 1/4 I want to have three blades ground differently: one for smoothing, one for scrubbing and one with a bevel.

From my woodworking days I have a leftover #3 in good condition with beautiful rosewood handles and a blade with plenty of life left.

I bought a NOS blade that cost me more than I would get for the #3 if sold. The #3 will be donating its blade and chipbreaker.
    Last edited by Marinus Loewensteijn; 09-07-2019 at 7:08 PM.

Thanks for the opinions! If that's the case they have a no5 type 11 for $10, but the sole and tote are junk. The sole looks like it fell off the bench and split in 2 right at the mouth and the tote is in 3 pieces and held together with electrical tape. For $10 it has a good iron, frog, lever cap and knob though. All the screws look ok too

It looks (from your picture) that the screw hole for the front knob has a broken screw in it. If true, you'll have to find a way to extract that before you can mount a new knob.

Knobs aren't difficult to make if you have a lathe. Course, you need the matching bolt for it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Thanks for the opinions! If that's the case they have a no5 type 11 for $10, but the sole and tote are junk. The sole looks like it fell off the bench and split in 2 right at the mouth and the tote is in 3 pieces and held together with electrical tape. For $10 it has a good iron, frog, lever cap and knob though. All the screws look ok too
    Run, don't walk and pick up that plane before someone else comes after it. You might be able to point out the flaws and get them to come down to $5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Well, I got lucky today. They wouldn't come down on price of the no 5, but I bought it anyway. After looking at it closer I think it is even older because one of the patent dates is aug-10-02. It's is not the original iron, but it has a good chip breaker, frog, and knob. As I was walking out of the store, someone stopped me and noticed I had just bought a plane, and said he was a vendor and had another one for me to look at. Low and behold it was another early Stanley #4. I could not get the lever cap off, and he said because it was broke he would take $2 cash for it. I promptly took out my wallet. All in all, I bought 3 planes for a total of about $20 this weekend and I am happy with my haul. I can make one good number 4 from the number 5 with the broken sole #4 with the broken lever cap, and may leave the other #4 as is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Even though I couldn't get the no 5 cheaper it was still worth it to get this #4 for $2. I couldn't get the lever cap off in the parking lot but someone had the screw WAY to tight. Came right off once the tension was released

Blog Entries
    The #5 is a type 9. Without seeing the front of the frog it is impossible to tell if it is an early or late type 9. This explains those designations:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131234

The #4 looks could be type 8 or earlier. Does the depth adjuster have left hand or right hand threads? Right hand threads advance the blade when the adjuster is turned to the left. It is the opposite for left hand threads which came into use ~1891. The old style adjusters, right hand treads, have patent date information stamped inside:

Adjuster Patent.jpg

Do you have access to a drill press? Some older ones have reversible motors*. There are also left hand twist drill bits available. They are good for getting out broken screws. They work better for me than an E-Z Out.

jtk

* It may be necessary to remove the cover on the motor's power connection to find the wiring information.

Jim,

On the #4 if you turn the knob to the left, or counter clockwise the blade does advance.

Here is a picture of the frog on the #5. Someone must have dropped it at some point because the mouth is brazed together

I just cleaned up the knob and it does have patent dates in the knob