Hi all, this is my first time posting and in fact the first time I have attempted to finish anything, so please be kind – and SUPER specific 🙂
I hired a guy to make a kitchen table for me out of ash. Unfortunately his mother had a stroke and before he could finish the table he left town. So I now have an unfinished table top in my garage. I have to finish it, and then figure out how to attach it to the pedestal — but that’s a problem for another day.

My finishing questions have to do with sealing, raising grain, using a slurry and hand-rubbing. The look I am going for is kind of natural, not super glossy, and very smooth and buttery. I will not be staining it. I plan to use Original Waterlox Sealer/Finish, based on what the guy told me before heading out.

My questions are:
1) Can I use the Waterlox to create the slurry, or do I need to use a different oil based product, say, a pure tung oil to make the slurry? Is 320-400 grit (wet/dry) the right grit?
2) Do I need to raise the grain before filling/slurrying it?
3) Do I need to put down a sealer somewhere in this process? (I mean, if I can’t use the Waterlox as a slurry agent.)
4) According to Waterlox’s website, it is not wise to sand in between the first few coats, but their instructions are a bit hazy after that. When to sand, and with what grit — I think this is because there’s so much personal preference involved. So what have you guys done that has worked for you?
5) Lastly – when it comes to the final coat – buffing? With a cloth or steel wool?

Thanks to all who answer — I was never expecting to have to do this, but now that I am I’m excited to get started and see the results (eventually!).