Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection barrel

55 gallon metal drum from Rural King ($20) and lid with locking ring from McMaster for $70.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Have to remember to wear a respirator when emptying the drum.
    Ya, this bugs me. There are times when I feel more dust exposure just emptying the bin, than saved from having DC to begin with. I like the idea of the bag liners.

And some other great ideas here, thank you.

I got a 35 gallon barrel from a restaurant that they gave me for free

I've been using a Rubbermaid Brute. Bicycle tube works for a gasket.

A bag liner mitigates this. Of course you have to still wear a respirator, but it's only to pull out the liner and cinch up the trash bag. Easy-peasy(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    .... Bicycle tube works for a gasket.
    Interesting. Do you inflate it a bit to help it seal? If so, do you do that before or after clamping the lid down?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

A "quick fix" but not likely a permanent solution is to stack 2, or possibly 3 of your present style dust collection buckets together. Most plastic buckets are slightly tapered, so they stack together easily. Doing it will double or triple the wall thickness of the "in use" top bucket making it no longer implode.

I was never able to keep the plastic bags from trying to go up into the dust tornado. I ended up building a sleeve out of thin PVC to line the bag and keep it where it belongs. It pulls out easily before closing the top of the bag and dumping the sawdust. Then I put it back inside the new bag in the collection barrel.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-09-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    A bag liner mitigates this. Of course you have to still wear a respirator, but it's only to pull out the liner and cinch up the trash bag. Easy-peasy(ish)
    True, but only for folks disposing as trash. For those of us who dump on-site... ...liners would be a waste of time because we'd have to empty them anyway onto the pile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Except it would make moving the dust to your dump site easier. Trash bags are easier to carry than bulky drums.

Except it would make moving the dust to your dump site easier. Trash bags are easier to carry than bulky drums.
    That's what 2 wheel dollies are for.

That's what front end loaders on the tractor are for. The Big Orange Power Tool carries the full barrel for me.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Interesting. Do you inflate it a bit to help it seal? If so, do you do that before or after clamping the lid down?
    No, I just cut the valve out and stapled it to the lip of the bottom. It was a temporary "see how it works" type thing, and its still there 5 yrs later ;-)

I used a road bicycle tube.

Blog Entries
    Why not dampen the contents of the dust bin/bag with a hose prior to moving it ?

Bill, would not some water make your dust bin pretty heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Why not dampen the contents of the dust bin/bag with a hose prior to moving it ?
    For those of us with fiber barrels...that wouldn't be workable for obvious reasons. They need to stay dry.
    --