Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection barrel

Dust collection barrel

What is everyone using for a dust collection barrel? I have a heavy duty plastic trash can I put a gasket on. But it 'implodes' at times. Before I go messing with reinforcement, maybe I should just ditch it all together for something more suitable (ideally cheap and readily available locally).

Advice?

30 gal metal trash can
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I made a plywood box. Simple, sturdy, and inexpensive. While I was at it, I put an acrylic window in the side of the box, so I can see when the bin needs emptying.

My Oneida system uses a 55 gallon fiber drum.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mine is a 35 gallon cardboard drum with some kind of plastic liner.
    Bill D.

I use a 55 gal fiber drum that I got for free at the Home Depot. It was really too big (tall) for my system, so I cut it down to between 30 - 35 gal.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

My Oneida has a 35gal fiberboard drum.

I highly recommend buying a Plastic Bag Holder (made by Lawson). I got mine for $20 on Amazo*. This can be cut to size and inserted inside your drum to hold open a plastic trash bag liner. It makes emptying the dust a little easier than without.

Oneida makes a purpose built liner that is a tad more expensive.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-07-2019 at 7:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    My Oneida has a 35gal fiberboard drum.

I highly recommend buying a Plastic Bag Holder (made by Lawson). I got mine for $20 on Amazo*. This can be cut to size and inserted inside your drum to hold open a plastic trash bag liner. It makes emptying the dust a little easier than without.

Oneida makes a purpose built liner that is a tad more expensive.
    Prashun, I have a similar bag holder and it doesn't work well for me. How do you keep the suction of your collector from sucking the liner inward?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I use the 35 gal metal drum and dolly with the plastic bag liner from Oneida (I have an Oneida dust collector). All three items work great for me.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    What is everyone using for a dust collection barrel? I have a heavy duty plastic trash can I put a gasket on. But it 'implodes' at times. Before I go messing with reinforcement, maybe I should just ditch it all together for something more suitable (ideally cheap and readily available locally).

Advice?
    I use a 35-gallon plastic trash can and have the gasket in the plywood lid. My can imploded twice before I built an X-shaped brace using offcut plywood strips for the inside where the center of the buckling happened. Since then, the plastic hasn't deformed at all.

I also built a wooden box. Most of the area is 5mm luan plywood but it has 1 1/8 softwood frame and supports at half span. I wondered if it would implode but my sawstop dust port was plugged up when I first started the DC and nothing imploded. It works fine. I also put a plastic window on it but it's hard to see in. I'll probably buy a cheap HF flashlight with a round end and put it in the top of the box. (round end so I can drill a hole and install). My box is 18 inches square and about 4 feet tall - sized so that it used the available space. It has wheels on the bottom (from the HF DC) and the capacity is about 70 gallons.

George, it takes a little trial and error. You really have to eliminate all leaks for it to work well. I caulked the inside of the metal lid. I also punch a few holes in the bag near the top so that the suction is broken between the bag and the drum itself.

You really have to get good at removing as many creases as possible where the bag folds over the edge under the lid.

Blog Entries
    I have an unused 55 gallon open top oil drum for my DC.

I found a plastic 50 gallon drum, and somewhere also found a steel lid, but could not find the locking ring, put some foam weatherstrip around the top of the drum, and clamp the lid down with some spring clamps. The plastic drum is light, and easy to move, when I dump it, use a dust pan to dip out the top, then when it is low enough just pick it up and dump it in the wheelbarrow. Takes 2 trips to empty the drum. Have to remember to wear a respirator when emptying the drum.