Thread: New use for opened padded envelopes

New use for opened padded envelopes

As I get a lot of stuff from Amazon and other online sites, I end up with a variety of padded envelopes which have been ripped open or cut open. These are the kind with bubble wrap inside. Until recently I'd just been throwing them all away.

Then I realized that I could use them to put small scraps of wood with sharp edges or pointy ends into the trash and they would no longer poke through the contractor bag. Also works for discarded nails, screws, utility knife blades etc. Tyvek envelopes also work for this.

I still get more of these envelopes than I can use but at least some of them have a secondary use on their way to the landfill.

Interesting idea. I have a whole stack.

I believe those bags are recyclable with grocery plastic bags as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I believe those bags are recyclable with grocery plastic bags as well.

I don't think any plastic is recyclable these days unless it is a #1. About 24 months ago, China stopped taking almost all plastic, except #1 (in the triangle). I don't know for sure about the Amazon envelopes, but pretty sure that grocery bags are just tossed any more.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I don't think any plastic is recyclable these days unless it is a #1. About 24 months ago, China stopped taking almost all plastic, except #1 (in the triangle). I don't know for sure about the Amazon envelopes, but pretty sure that grocery bags are just tossed any more.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’re right but I have to try.

___wow, that’s a super long signature___

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Katz View Post
    As I get a lot of stuff from Amazon and other online sites, I end up with a variety of padded envelopes which have been ripped open or cut open. These are the kind with bubble wrap inside. Until recently I'd just been throwing them all away.

Then I realized that I could use them to put small scraps of wood with sharp edges or pointy ends into the trash and they would no longer poke through the contractor bag. Also works for discarded nails, screws, utility knife blades etc. Tyvek envelopes also work for this.

I still get more of these envelopes than I can use but at least some of them have a secondary use on their way to the landfill.
    This reminds me of a comedy show (maybe from SNL?) Where the late, great Phil Hartman played 'the anal retentive carpenter'. In one sketch, he showed how he carefully wraps & packages his scrap cutoffs. Hilarious.