Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used bandsaws

Used bandsaws

I'm currently an all hand-tool guy, but looking to add a used bandsaw to my setup. There's a ton out there, but are there any brands/models that I should keep an eye out for, or especially avoid?

It would be nice to have resaw capabilities, but unless I find a real steal on a 17", I'll probably just hold off on that, and pick up a 10/12" benchtop model. The used prices are too good, and most of my use will be tighter curves with a narrow blade.

Have you thought about new the rikon 10-305 deluxe is on sale now for $350 at woodcraft this month and $311 this week after rebate if you are close to a menards.

I had an old 10” Delta Homecraft bandsaw that was well built and ran nice but I sold it after finding a 14” Walker Turner to restore. Older Craftsman models are well made too. Actually you really won’t go wrong looking for a vintage made in US bandsaw. But if a Grizzly pops up, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it if it’s still nice.

There’s very few deal killers when it comes to bandsaws. Tires are easily sourced, custom blade sizes can be ordered, etc. The bearings can be tricky to source sometimes (like my WT) but aren’t too bad to replace. Most motors are just bolted underneath so replacing one isn’t too scary.

The often unmentioned advantage to fixing up an old saw is you learn how it works in detail and learn how to set it up properly.

If you do plan to add a larger saw later I would go with the Grizzly or Rikon benchtop saw. If you don't plan to add a larger saw at some point then I would get an old 14" cast iron saw. You can put a riser block and larger motor on it when the need comes and be able to resaw 10"+. It's not a true substitute for a large saw, but for many hobbiests it's an acceptable middle ground.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Beaudoin View Post
    I'm currently an all hand-tool guy, but looking to add a used bandsaw to my setup. There's a ton out there, but are there any brands/models that I should keep an eye out for, or especially avoid?

It would be nice to have resaw capabilities, but unless I find a real steal on a 17", I'll probably just hold off on that, and pick up a 10/12" benchtop model. The used prices are too good, and most of my use will be tighter curves with a narrow blade.
    See if you can find a "vintage", US made, Delta/Rockwell, 14" band saw. With, or without, a riser block.
    Virtually every manufacturer of band saws has copied the design of the Delta, 14".
    It's a rugged little band saw that has it's origin in metal fabrication.
    The reason I like the Delta's, even though I own a Jet, is that the guide bearings underneath the table are closer to the table than the "clones". In my opinion this aids in greater blade stability.
    If you're trying to find a band saw that can do tight curvy work, and resaw, that's a different story. I only solved it by owning two band saws.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I mean, is there a compelling reason to not buy this tool used? For $300 or less there are lots of used 14"+ models, and used 9/10" ones seem to cap out around $100...

I mean, is there a compelling reason to not buy this tool used? For $300 or less there are lots of used 14"+ models, and used 9/10" ones seem to cap out around $100...
    No, there is no compelling reason not to buy used, as long as you have a little mechanical inclination and patience. If you buy a 14" Delta, or one of it's clones, there is no shortage of parts available.
    There are some incredible vintage and used band saws on Craiglist, Ebay, Facebook, etc.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks, Mike. Does the recommendation for Delta still stand for the smaller models? Found a 9" delta for $70 that at least from photos looks pretty well taken-care-of.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for Grizzlies.

Thanks, Mike. Does the recommendation for Delta still stand for the smaller models? Found a 9" delta for $70 that at least from photos looks pretty well taken-care-of.
    Adam
    I am not familiar with that model, but for $70.00, it's kinda hard to see how you could go wrong.
    I think resaw is probably very limited.

That's what I figured, too.

I'll wait for another machine another day to have resaw capability.

I would echo what John and Mike have said above. Except that I would buy a 14'' Delta as a first saw instead of anything smaller. Depending on what you plan to use a bandsaw for it is possible to outgrow this saw with larger work. However as Mike stated it is very good "middle ground" in a hobby wood working setting. It should be not that hard to find a good used one there were a lot of these made.

Blog Entries
    At the prices you are talking about, I would probably bu a new one. I agree on a 14" or 17". I have a 17" Jet with a riser block and it has handled every thing I threw at it. I have it on a roll around stand.

Brand isn't so critical. When looking at any used machine look to see if it looks like it's been taken care of or abused. The only bandsaw I would avoid would be a three wheel saw. They have a reputation of having problems with the blade walking off.

Blog Entries
    Also, be aware that you can buy new tires for a bandsaw.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=band...hrome&ie=UTF-8