Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SawStop long-term cost/reliability

Blog Entries
    My workshop is super tight and I also have a short stroke slider. Ideally, I'd like a lot more room around it than I have, but it works for my purposes. I've grown quickly accustomed to using a European style fence. The extrusion on the fence can be pulled back and used as a stop so it's very handy for things like tenon shoulders or anything else where you'd want to work from a fixed distance.

I use it for Kumiko also, so I suspect it would be handy for a person who makes windows and doors in a one-off or short-batch basis.

I rip on a bandsaw and parallel in the planer for anything less than 9.25" wide.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

While I'm also a slider fan and owner, I would have zero concerns about long term support for SS, especially now that the brand is owned by the parent company of Festool as noted previously in this thread. Interestingly, Felder has introduced a sensor system that's initially debuting on their highest end sliding table saws. Unlike SS, it doesn't require physical contact to sense flesh. Even though the nature of a sliding table saw inherently reduces the risk of hands being near the blade, it's good that "that side" of the industry is looking to increase safety from table saw accidents, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Will a 9' slider fit? I got it in a 24' x 24' with and 16"jp and it fits well, you will be better off with a slider any day of the week... I would even consider an 8' but always get the biggest you can fit...

mk
    Maybe if I completely reconfigured my shop and removed a support post. But an added problem is my shop is in the basement with no access other than a 32" door in a hallway at the top of the stairs. I've gotten a 14" J/P down there by taking it apart, and a 17" bandsaw with a hoist and shoehorn, but I don't think there's any way a slider is going down there w/o substantial disassembly, something I would only consider doing with a used machine. And with maybe 10 to 15 years left to push wood over my machines I don't think the benefit is worth the effort, expense, and especially the time.

John

Blog Entries
    John, I took mine apart to bring it into the basement. Literally down to nuts and bolts. Those saws are not overly complicated.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've owned two SawStops. Initially a Contractor's saw, and now a 5HP, 3-phase ICS beast. I'm extremely impressed by the build quality, and not worried about support in the future - especially now that Festool owns them. No electronics issues in the 5+ years I've owned one. And I see patients who've lost fingers to table saws all the time.

Clearly time will tell, but I have no concerns. My $0.02
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My experience with their CS is top notch, second to no other company even after the warranty was well past the date.
    Have their ICS version and is a very well designed and well built saw. If I was going to spend $7k+ I would look seriously at sliders.

I’ve had a sawstop for 11 years and never had a problem with the electronics. The idea that safe practices take the place of the sawstop technology misses the whole point. No one claims that a SS precludes the necessity of following safe practices. Accidents happen on those rare occasions when they are not followed. No one is perfect.

Derek, over the many years I’ve enjoyed your posts, I think I have only seen a close up near or around your work bench. This is the first, I believe, that I have seen your entire shop layout. Appears very well organized and well equipped for the garage space. Very nice!

I have never seen any info or discussion on where the electronics are located. I am sure there are some built into the saw, but obviously the cartridges have some too. Any one know how much is in the saw verses the removable cartridge?
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Most of the electronics are in the control box. The cartridge has the electronics necessary to fire the cartridge. There is an encoder on the arbor.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Maybe if I completely reconfigured my shop and removed a support post. But an added problem is my shop is in the basement with no access other than a 32" door in a hallway at the top of the stairs. I've gotten a 14" J/P down there by taking it apart, and a 17" bandsaw with a hoist and shoehorn, but I don't think there's any way a slider is going down there w/o substantial disassembly, something I would only consider doing with a used machine. And with maybe 10 to 15 years left to push wood over my machines I don't think the benefit is worth the effort, expense, and especially the time.

John
    B3 016.jpgB3 022.jpg

Here's a B3 heading up the exterior stairs, through a standard doorway then onto a landing, turning 90 degrees and going down the basement stairs.

My shop cat Ellington and I did that alone on a Saturday.

It's even easier if you hire someone..........Regards, Rod.

'Creekers Paul Mosteller and Steve Wurster were just standing with me in my shop discussing this very thing about how Steve got his Felder short-stroke slider into his basement shop a number of months ago. That involved deconstructing a door/frame in his case to get the couple extra inches necessary to get the toy, err...machine...into where it needed to go.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Derek, over the many years I’ve enjoyed your posts, I think I have only seen a close up near or around your work bench. This is the first, I believe, that I have seen your entire shop layout. Appears very well organized and well equipped for the garage space. Very nice!
    Thanks Phil. I tend only to show photos that relate to specific topics. Much of the time I illustrate builds. I am quite envious of those with cavernous shops, and with fancy cabinets. Mine is crammed into half a double garage, as my car (a rag top) needs to be parked inside at night.

To return to the thread: I would be very satisfied if I had a SawStop. But I am pleased I purchased the Hammer K3 instead. When used as a conventional cabinet saw, its footprint is really quite small ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Myself I would find it pretty risky to purchase a sawstop saw. Companies today tend to suspend parts for the machinery they make before they are very old. You then have machine that the parts are proprietary which you may find yourself not being able to get and can't have your local machine shop make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    Myself I would find it pretty risky to purchase a sawstop saw. Companies today tend to suspend parts for the machinery they make before they are very old. You then have machine that the parts are proprietary which you may find yourself not being able to get and can't have your local machine shop make.
    This has been addressed in previous posts.
    - SawStop has sold enough machines that the part supply stream is likely to remain robust.
    - SawStop is owned by Festool, which has a pretty stellar reputation for customer service.
    - Worst case; the company goes belly up or quits making parts. Then you just bypass the electronics (a trivial & inexpensive job) and you're left with an excellent saw that is just missing the safety brake.