Thread: What glue to use for laminating wood?

What glue to use for laminating wood?

I have to laminate six layers of 1/8" x 6" x 36" cherry to make armrests for a chair I'm making. I have seen various adhesives, such as epoxy and titebond used in online videos. I prefer hide glue for indoor furniture. What adhesive would you use? Thanks.

I use plastic resin for lay ups. Hard bond, long open time, and no creep. The down side it take a little longer to cure

The problem with laminating flat wood is if it's very big a PVA glue will dry around the edges and stay wet in the middle for a long time. If you use a hide glue or a resin glue it would do better. I worked for a guy onetime that needed some 1/2" plywood for drawer boxes so he glues two sheets of 1/4" plywood together with titebond and the next day when we went to cut the drawer parts it all came apart like the glue was just applied. Just the pieces around the parameter were partially stuck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I have to laminate six layers of 1/8" x 6" x 36" cherry to make armrests for a chair I'm making. I have seen various adhesives, such as epoxy and titebond used in online videos. I prefer hide glue for indoor furniture. What adhesive would you use? Thanks.
    How tight are the bends? I've had good success with Titebond 3 on moderate bends. If an absolute rigid glue line is needed, then your solution is most likely Unbind 800. Just be sure to wear a respirator.

I suspect PVA will be just fine.

Mike

In my limited experience on similar glue ups I went to contact cement. It worked. Actually it has resisted 20 years (indoors).

I've made laminated slats for chair backs using TB III and using urethane glue from TB and from gorilla. Spring back upon clamp removal in all cases was minimal, but non-zero. Slats varied from 3-4 inches wide, and 20-24 inches long, so drying was rather uniform with a 24h clamp-up.

If you can get hide glue to do that...you're way more skilled than I. I'd use epoxy and a vacuum press.

Blog Entries
    A lot of tite bond products will work for this. hide or poly is what i use in the field...