Thread: Bowl roughouts

Bowl roughouts

Is there anybody out there selling kiln dried bowl roughouts?
    Brad McCollum
    Mac Woodworks

Mike Mahoney sells “dry” rough out bowls.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I've done business with Mike before, with great results. I'm just having a hard time getting hold of him this time. Is there anyone else out there selling Bowl roughouts?
    Brad McCollum
    Mac Woodworks

Have you checked ebay?

Brad, I'd love to part with some roughed out bowls but mine are air dried and I a little far away and dealing with out border would likely make it not worth either of our efforts!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brad McCollum View Post
    Is there anybody out there selling kiln dried bowl roughouts?
    I auction well-dried rough turned bowls at our club every year in March. These are air dried, some probably a decade or two now, donated by a woman whose woodturning husband had passed away. I have about 140 left, various sizes. I can't sell any but anyone is welcome to come to the auction in Knoxville (third Tuesday, 6:30pm Woodcraft store). We usually have a huge amount of general wood blanks too. Bit of a drive for you...

auction_IMG_0958.jpg auction_IMG_0964.jpg auction_wood_comp_IMG_20171202_175649_933_small.jpg

I can't remember how many large roughouts we have left - the big ones go quickly. The last picture is of some blanks I donated from my own stash, can't remember, this past March or the year before.

JKJ

There was a post on Craig's list in Western Mass from someone selling blanks. I can't remember if they were green or dry. I have seen smaller ones at Rockler. No clue if they were dry or not but they did have a large box full of them in various species.

Knoxville is a little bit of a hike but I think it could be worth it. If it wasn't a 17 hour drive I might even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Knoxville is a little bit of a hike but I think it could be worth it. If it wasn't a 17 hour drive I might even think about it.
    Hey, come visit! Take a llama for a walk, herd some peacocks, get stung by a honey bee, play in the shop!

Can't promise exactly what will be in the auction this year - we rely on donations. We don't allow firewood or even log sections - everything is ready to mount on a lathe, some green some dry. They ask me to be the auctioneer every year since I'm loud and have no shame and know a wee bit about wood.

Other clubs might try this as a fundraiser. I think it brought in over $1600 last year which really helps with the budget. Anyone interested, just ask. We've gradually honed the methods. It's a great way for some of our members without means to cut up trees to get good turning blanks without paying a fortune.

JKJ

yeah I got wood too please come and get some it is going to waste Cleveland, Tn.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    yeah I got wood too please come and get some it is going to waste Cleveland, Tn.
    I'm going to see if you'll be home one day next week. This week proved to be crazier than crazy if that's possible!

ok, just give me some notice so we do not miss