Thread: Anyone have a Grizzly 1023, Powermatic PM1000, or Jet xacta near southern PA?

Anyone have a Grizzly 1023, Powermatic PM1000, or Jet xacta near southern PA?

I’m looking to get a new table saw and would like to see these models in person before I buy. I was curious if anyone near me would be so kind to let me check out their table saw. Im mainly interested in the 3 models in the thread title. I live near Gettysburg PA and would be willing to drive out an hour to hour and a half.

PM me if interested. Thanks!

I'm too far away for you, but love my Grizzly 1023. If you get near NW Pennsylvania, I'd be happy you show you mine.

Thanks Lisa, that is a bit far for me. Glad to hear you’re happy with your 1023. I really miss the Grizzly store in Williamsport. Was only there once when I was first starting out and wish it were still there to go see things in person.

Brian,

I'm a bit further away for you to see the Jet saw that I have but if you buy an xacta saw make sure you get the fence with the micro adjust feature......or for that matter: whatever saw you get look for a micro adjust on the fence.

If you're not scared of 3-phase tools I'd be looking for an older more robust saw. I spent over ten years with an xacta saw but added an Oliver 260d last year and it's really a different animal. For the price of a new saw you can probably find an old one and run it with a VFD.

I hope this helps!

Like Lisa, being in Pittsburgh I am too far away.

But I can tell you I have absolutely no regrets about my purchase of the Grizzly G1023RLWX. I chose the 5 HP option since the price was not that much different. Also I like cast iron so the cast iron router table extension appealed to me.

I would buy again without question. This does not mean the other saws you mentioned are inferior. Don’t have any experience with them.
    Last edited by Bill Space; 09-07-2019 at 7:42 PM. Reason: double word - gone now... added Router in front of table table
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Hi Brian,
    I have the Grizzly G1023RLWX and I think it is great! I'm very pleased with the fit, finish, and operation of this saw. I'm located in Tucson, Arizona - way out of your area. Let me know if you get out this way and you are welcomed to come take a look and try it out.
    David

Rip Sled for smaller pieces.jpg

I haven't lived in PA for 30 years so my info could be way off base but have you tried reaching out to Wilke Machinery in York? They used to have a pretty good selection of tooling and from a quick peak at their web site it looks like they carry Jet, Powermatic and Saw Stop.

I am in WA state so nowhere near you. I will say that I own the Grizzly G1023RL and LOVE it.

Thanks for all the responses guys. It seems many of you are happy with your 1023s. That seems to be the direction I am leaning. Not sure if I can justify the extra $600 (when on sale) for the Jet over the Grizzly.

Barney, I actually did stop in at Wilke machinery in York last weekend. They don’t have any powermatic or jet table saws there to see. They do have saw stops though as does every woodcraft. It seems the sawstop is what they want to sell from talking with them, especially the guys at woodcraft.

Jeff, are you happy with your Jet Xacta? I have been looking at some older table saws on Craigslist and eBay. I’m not quite sure I’m experienced enough to be able to tell if I’m getting a good deal or know how to fix something if it were to go wrong.

I bought one of the original (right tilt) 1023s at the Williamsport store in 1986. Compared to the latest version it is nearly 100# heavier. I've probably made 20 miles of cuts on various species of hardwoods/softwoods and plywoods over the last 33 years. Only ever had one problem with it - the worm gear to lift the blade carriage cracked at about the 10 year mark. Grizzly sent it O/N free of charge and it's been running fine ever since.

I now have a Powermatic model 72 (12", 5hp 3 phase) and, though it makes the 1023 look like a toy, I still use the Grizzly way more than the big (other green) monster.

Brian,
    My chief complaint about the Jet is its lack of a riving knife. But I think most new saws have a riving knife so it wouldn't be an issue.
    That being said, the Oliver makes a cleaner cut, but it's a totally different beast, hard to compare the two. A 16" blade that's almost 3/16" thick is gonna have less deflection than a 10" by 1/8" thick blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Steinberger View Post
    T
    Jeff, are you happy with your Jet Xacta? I have been looking at some older table saws on Craigslist and eBay. .
    Brian, prior to buying my slider, I enjoyed owning and using the Jet Left-Tilt Xacta. It was an excellent tool in every way and I was able to sell it for a very healthy percentage of what I paid for it originally, even after having owned it for a few years. At the time, the Left-tilts were slightly heavier than the Right-tilts, if I recall accurately, but I could be wrong about that.

Jeff's comment about the riving knife is accurate, but they were not a feature on most saws prior to "relatively recently", so many used machines may not have them. Nature of the beast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...