Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: "Professional" paint (Sherwin Williams, etc) vs Box-Store paint

Sherwin Williams has a 40% off sale through the 23rd. I think they only have 40% off 2, or 3 times a year. I bought some of my favorite exterior paint yesterday, for upcoming projects this Fall, Emerald for $42.80 a gallon. That puts it down in the range of the box store paint.

Colonial Williamsburg is careful not to advertise for any one paint company, because several companies, whether they use their paint or not, pay them royalties to use the name on color collections.

Blog Entries
    Both Lowes and Home Depot have good paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I pretty much stick to SW or BM for "house" paint because I get consistency and great results. I have used the top level Behr for a few things and it was fine, but it did go on differently than the SW Emerald or BM Aura. And ProClassic acrylic is my go-to for trim. I find it extremely easy to apply. In fact, when I repainted my kitchen lower cabinets, which are white, I used it for that job because I couldn't spray my normal Target Coatings finish and the result was stellar with zero brush marks.

It's probably harder for a "casual" painter to notice differences, but for the folks who paint day-in-day-out, they are going to notice differences between products very quickly and that will affect their ability to execute with the quality they try to achieve.
    I have spent a good portion of my 51 married years painting, and repainting - the wife likes to try different colors. In our last house, i painted the kitchen 5 times in the first 4 years; she finally got what she wanted.

Obviously, I have painted a lot more than most people. I have found Benjamin Moore to work best for me, even considering the cost. It goes on easier and seems to be much more durable. Currently using Sherwin Williams in the new house, as there is no BM dealer nearby. I would say its a close second, but don't buy the low end products.

I

I just this week painted 2 bedrooms in my daughter's newly purchased house. I used Behr Premium Ultra on the first room because the SW sale hadn't started yet and we had the room prepped and ready. The second room was painted with SW Super Paint as the 40% sale had started. 2 coats both rooms, similar color.

I felt the Behr covered better, it was a little thicker so it did not cut in as easily on the ceiling line. The SW was thinner and cut in nicer but while it covered well with 2 coats, it did not cover as well on the first coat.

All in all, I would rate them about equal, and would not pay for SW if it wasn't on the 40% sale.

I am not a Pro painter, but worked 10 summers as a painter in college and in my early teaching career so I have some experience with paint.

I have very little painting experience, other than painting our houseboat with Sherwyn Williams industrial enamel 10 years ago-

With no other prep than scuffing up the original hull paint with a palm sander, I sprayed the hull with an old Sears sprayer, thinned the paint with mineral spirits-
    these pics are dated March 15, 2009-
    sk1.jpg

sk2.jpg
    note the side walls are still the yellow'y white, they had been repainted at least once with house paint, not sure what brands the but cans are still stored in the boats basement- you can see a big patch of the repaint gone, revealing the original beige-y white. The side panels are 1/16" thick mottled FRP laminated to plywood walls...

The summer of 2010 I had a friend repaint the sides using the same paint. Prep amounted to using the same palm sander to remove some of the old flaking paint, and a coat of Bullseye primer, paint & primer rolled on. Looked every bit as good as if it'd been sprayed on...
    sk5.jpg

this pic is 4 years later, summer of 2013-
    sk4.jpg

I've been doing some hull repairs, I took this pic last week- all the white paint is in great shape, no rust coming thru on the hull, topside shows no flaking, nothing. There's a few rub marks on the hull from fenders. A little soap and water an it shines right up.
    sk3.jpg

Whatever Sherwyn Williams cost, I'll pay it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...-acrylic-latex

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...-acrylic-latex

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ic-latex-paint

What's really odd is the only one that isn't is the one you dismiss because of standards.
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pai...interior-latex

Promar is a professional paint, the others are homeowner paint, just reading the descriptions makes that pretty obvious.

Unfortunately if your in this camp I can only imagine you havent run through a couple hundred gallons of material on a single job. Promar 200 is the dog XXXX of paint. And it is for a reason. Because its cheap. Its the material that is flown in on commercial work from HUD slum houses, right through to million dollar homes that have to repainted in 2-5 years.

The primer/paint in one thing is a scam the home centers foisted on the retail consumer and snowjobed them yet again. Virtually every low solid paint would technically be considered self priming because they are sandable. A top quality top coat is not sandable. We prime, sand, first coat, sand, and top coat. Sanding passes are ripping fast to de-nib the surface. There is no comparison. NO ONE running promar 200 is sanding after prime and first coat because they are on a budget job. The stuff is utter junk. You could put universal tint in skim milk and call it paint. SW branches push it because they have miles of it on the shelf for the production painters.

Ask a production painter who has any money in the bank (and not trying to burn up odd gallons/pails of material on his own home because he either has the money and not the time or the time and not the money) if they run Promar 200 in their own home. No chance
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 09-29-2019 at 2:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    "Professional" paint, something like "builder quality"? Professional means different things in different circles.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    "Professional" paint, something like "builder quality"? Professional means different things in different circles.
    "Professional" can mean "get in, get out, and leave a good looking corpse" until it starts to smell, because they cheaped out on embalming fluid. ;^)

Behr Paint

For Inside Wall Paint:
    Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 2.25.24 PM.jpg
    This stuff is flat and needs two coats.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 2.28.21 PM.jpg
    This stuff is "Matte" and will cover in one coat, but needs to be thicker to cover roller marks due to it's slight sheen.

Both cover with the same amount of paint, so I do 2 coats of the cheaper stuff.

I use oil for inside trim. Comes out much smoother.
    I've never been able to make Latex look good. Too "Ropey" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    For Inside Wall Paint:
    Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 2.25.24 PM.jpg
    This stuff is flat and needs two coats.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 2.28.21 PM.jpg
    This stuff is "Matte" and will cover in one coat, but needs to be thicker to cover roller marks due to it's slight sheen.

Both cover with the same amount of paint, so I do 2 coats of the cheaper stuff.

I use oil for inside trim. Comes out much smoother.
    I've never been able to make Latex look good. Too "Ropey" for me.
    There is no such thing as a one coat paint that will last.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Define "last".

Interesting about the Behr "Premium Plus", it used to be their "one coat" paint. Actually I am able to get by with one coat often as I really lay it on with a roller. Almost to the point of running.

As far as trim, if you use a self leveling cabinet style paint, it can look pretty good. SW Pro Classic works well. Using a quality low nap roller on cabinets, it levels out really well, looking nearly like it was sprayed.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-29-2019 at 6:22 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I've never been impressed with SW paints. Pro mar 200 is sh!$ Their duration is good stuff though.

We we use Benjamin Moore in our company. Our standard is "ultra spec". I prefer BM regal.

The difference is in the solid counts and durability etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post

Amen to that! Agreed.