Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Professional" paint (Sherwin Williams, etc) vs Box-Store paint

There you go, sprayed and brushed.

Try rolling the garbage.

In this thread I have learned paint is no different from sharpening stones....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Paints like duration, super paint, emerald, and the other companies high dollar paints are made for homeowners.
    Stuff is thick, pulls off the wall when trying to actually apply paint the technically correct way. They market those as one coat coverage, which makes them a PIA to try an apply two normal coats.

Never witnessed any painting contractor using them, it's always pro mar, ICI, Glidden Dulux, etc. Paints that are made to be applied by someone other than an amateur.
    I have on commercial jobs. The reason I went with SW to start with was advise from commercial painters. The only recommendation made was never trust a self priming paint...

Fire stations, police stations and hospitals dont want cheap...They have specific requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    I have on commercial jobs. The reason I went with SW to start with was advise from commercial painters. The only recommendation made was never trust a self priming paint...

Fire stations, police stations and hospitals dont want cheap...They have specific requirements...
    You do realize that duration, super paint, etc. are all labeled and marketed as self priming. So, uhhhhh

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...-acrylic-latex

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...-acrylic-latex

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...ic-latex-paint

What's really odd is the only one that isn't is the one you dismiss because of standards.
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pai...interior-latex

Promar is a professional paint, the others are homeowner paint, just reading the descriptions makes that pretty obvious.

I never use any paint as self-priming. We've taken all the old paint off of many things, and I've never seen a failed oil based primer under anything that has any life left in it anyway.

Paints like duration, super paint, emerald, and the other companies high dollar paints are made for homeowners.
    Stuff is thick, pulls off the wall when trying to actually apply paint the technically correct way. They market those as one coat coverage, which makes them a PIA to try an apply two normal coats.

Never witnessed any painting contractor using them, it's always pro mar, ICI, Glidden Dulux, etc. Paints that are made to be applied by someone other than an amateur.
    Well...the pro painters who did our home addition specifically recommended the BM Aura for the walls, the Duration for the exterior trim and the SM SuperPaint for the ceilings. And these two guys were extremely good at their trade. And expensive, too. They primarily do high-end homes and additions. 4200 sq feet of really nice paint job. But this is a pretty subjective thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I never use any paint as self-priming. We've taken all the old paint off of many things, and I've never seen a failed oil based primer under anything that has any life left in it anyway.
    Its marketing garbage for homeowners.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Well...the pro painters who did our home addition specifically recommended the BM Aura for the walls, the Duration for the exterior trim and the SM SuperPaint for the ceilings. And these two guys were extremely good at their trade. And expensive, too. They primarily do high-end homes and additions. 4200 sq feet of really nice paint job. But this is a pretty subjective thing.
    Make more money off marking that stuff up.

Make more money off marking that stuff up.
    No markups. They didn't supply the paint. The GC did and my cost was his cost from SW and BM...which was not retail.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You do realize that duration, super paint, etc. are all labeled and marketed as self priming. So, uhhhhh
    That's for homeowners who want easy. When you want a surface done correctly you'll prep it right knowing the paint will adhere. You remind me of the finisher at Jacobe Furniture in KC. He hated SW products. He always referred to one particular job he did were SW products failed. I heard about the same job for 5 years. I use there paints, poly's and pre cats. You won't change my mind. Sorry you were disappointed.I've had an account with them since 2000. Never had a reason to look elsewhere..
    Last edited by jack duren; 09-13-2019 at 10:45 PM.

The "Professional" designation on product advertising and labeling is very important to me. That is why I am so partial to Harbor Freight tools.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    That's for homeowners who want easy. When you want a surface done correctly you'll prep it right knowing the paint will adhere. You remind me of the finisher at Jacobe Furniture in KC. He hated SW products. He always referred to one particular job he did were SW products failed. I heard about the same job for 5 years. I use there paints, poly's and pre cats. You won't change my mind. Sorry you were disappointed.I've had an account with them since 2000. Never had a reason to look elsewhere..
    I just hate over priced crap, which most off the shelf paint is.

Here's a big painting crew, that works full time. Ask them what they use, including primer.
    https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com...inted-surfaces

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here's a big painting crew, that works full time. Ask them what they use, including primer.
    https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com...inted-surfaces
    I zoomed in on every picture that had a paint can it in, nothing resembling a SW can.