Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Professional" paint (Sherwin Williams, etc) vs Box-Store paint

I use ceramic paints, Grahams mostly until they got bought out by California. They changed the paint for a little while but it seems to be back to the original formula now. Ceramic paint is easier to clean when it gets dirty and wear very well. I do a lot of work with Azek and as it holds paint forever it is important that is cleans well and holds color.

Paint is like shampoo, everyone likes theirs best, till they find a better one.

I gave up on Consumers Reports also they are like J D powers and Good Housekeeping where they give good ratings for money.

Blog Entries
    The fact the Consumers Reports rated Behr highly tells you all you need to know about Consumers Reports.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Not a big fan of duration or super paint, I also found it like to lift while rolling.

All the paint I buy is from a local paint store, sell Dutch standard made by Harrison paint Co. Covers well, goes on well, durable and wears well.
    All i use is Duration on my exterior. I have had zero problems 10years old.The flower boxes alone are painted with duration with plastic liners but still drain in the box and down the trim work. Good paints don't fail just poor prep work...flowerbox.jpg
    Last edited by jack duren; 09-12-2019 at 2:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I gave up on Consumers Reports also they are like J D powers and Good Housekeeping where they give good ratings for money.
    I think that the fact that they don't take money and won't even take advertising in their magazine is their main asset. What I don't understand is how every thing I have purchased on their recommendation has turned out to be a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I think that the fact that they don't take money and won't even take advertising in their magazine is their main asset. What I don't understand is how every thing I have purchased on their recommendation has turned out to be a lemon.
    Unfortunately, untainted funding and objectivity aren't substitutes for extensive knowledge about a product and industry. No one is an expert in everything, and going from testing a product you know nothing about in the morning to testing another thing you know nothing about in the afternoon doesn't help.

The ones that amused/irritated me the most were when they would rate two identical items differently, like a Ford Taurus and a Mercury Sable. If the same product gets two different ratings, you begin to get suspect of the methodology of the review and ratings.

Who paints the outside of their houses.

The fact that you offer derision without proof tells me all I need to know about your opinions. Consumer Reports does not accept money for advertising and, unlike some woodworking magazines, has no problem with going against conventional wisdom when they see evidence that it is wrong. That is why I tend to believe they are honest, even though I don't always agree with their methodologies. I like Beher paint better than Sherwinn Williams because I had the opportunity to use both brands recently at the same time on my new house and noticed a difference in the coverage effectiveness and the smoothness of application. This experience follows closely my previous experiences with SW paints. It isn't a bad product. It is just inferior to other products.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The fact the Consumers Reports rated Behr highly tells you all you need to know about Consumers Reports.

Blog Entries
    I have used plenty of cheap lousy paints, and Behr isn't one of them. My only problem with Consumer's Reports is that they seem anti-American when it comes to car reviews. Being from the Motor City area maybe I am a bit prejudiced. As far as paint, at least they have a testing procedure, not just 'I like Paint "A"'.
    NOW you tell me...

Behr paint is decent paint, IMHO. I just prefer products like SW Emerald and ProClassic as well as BM Aura...I get better coverage and more consistent application, at least with my personal technique.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Has anyone tried Ecotone paint. I see that my rehab store carries it. It is supposed to be recycled latex paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Who paints the outside of their houses.
    Anyone who doesn't live in a vinyl box or have lick and stick stone, or actual real brick.

Paints like duration, super paint, emerald, and the other companies high dollar paints are made for homeowners.
    Stuff is thick, pulls off the wall when trying to actually apply paint the technically correct way. They market those as one coat coverage, which makes them a PIA to try an apply two normal coats.

Never witnessed any painting contractor using them, it's always pro mar, ICI, Glidden Dulux, etc. Paints that are made to be applied by someone other than an amateur.

I guess that makes me an amateur then. This first house was painted with Duration in 2008 (sorry, no current picture of that one, and that picture is before completion, but we just pressure washed that one last week, and it looks the same, except now with steps on the front). The second one with Behr whatever the top of the line was, that released over caulking within two years, and it was recoated with Emerald. These are museum houses, and we pressure wash them every couple of years as part of what we get paid for keeping them up. Duration, and Emerald hold up great to pressure washing with bleach.

I will only paint old sash, or new reproductions with Emerald gloss. When we pressure wash the houses, we don't put pressure on the sash, but they get hit with Windex hose end sprayers at the end. I'm glad I put my foot down on using Emerald on those 1850 sash (second picture), because I would not have had time to redo them like we did the siding that the owner wanted us to use Behr on, because of the Consumer Reports rating. (have found the higher the gloss, the easier it cleans later-verified by tests on the same house by me).

Yes, these old houses get painted, instead of having synthetic siding on them.

I don't ever remember rolling any, so admit they might not be the best for that. We either spray with airless, or brush.

I expect most of the time, when someone hires painters, they go for the cheapest price, which means the painters won't be using a top end paint.

I've only been doing this for a living for 46 years now. I guess if there weren't different opinions, there would only be one brand. I'll be sticking with what works for me.

Last edited by Tom M King; 09-13-2019 at 3:11 PM.

Tom, love that railing ! Sure makes a difference when you don't go "all the law allows " on spacing.