Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder Eccentric Clamp Question

Question Felder Eccentric Clamp Question

How do I best use this clamp? Right now it only seems plausible to use it at the very back of the slide or otherwise I’ll need to remove my crosscut mount points. Do people that use these simply buy a second T-Nut to leave in the track between the two crosscut points? Or do you take the crosscut points off and re-calibrate them each time?

i was thinking just order a second T-Nut and leave in the middle but wasn’t sure if this made sense or if there were downsides I’m not seeing. Thanks.

E222E6B1-3080-4253-B93A-A65F9D6B73F2.jpg

908F2409-6826-4712-97F7-95D2CDA08A3A.jpg

Greg,

Ive only ever used it on the back of the slider. I assume you have your crosscut fence and outrigger table set in the forward position? I used my clamp for a month or so when i first got the slider, then i made the FF jig, and the clamp sat untouched for months and months. Last time i used the clamp was making straightline cuts on rough live edge lumber. In that case, the FF jig wouldnt have held the material securely for a good straightline rip. The clamp is high quality and heavy, but i found it to be somewhat cumbersome to adjust between cuts etc. I might use it more if i was working more with full sheet goods, but then i would probably go through the trouble of building a set of pneumatic clamps.

I just put a line on the sides of the crosscut block and pulled it so I could insert the clamp block. Think I’ll order a second for flexibility.

58EB9D7F-4698-4F32-ABCF-9B53546C01C8.jpg

Mine has gone unused since I bought one of these:
    https://www.kregtool.com/store/c29/b...3-bench-clamp/

Blog Entries
    Greg, is that a Felder KF700 you have? Are the crosscut blocks for the short crosscut fence?

I have a CF741 that I used to use the eccentric clamp on. I attempted to put a short crosscut fence on the slider, but could not adjust the mounting so that the fence could be remounted to be square. In fact, a Felder technician came by and also was unable to adjust it for square. The result was that I sent the fence back. When I used the eccentric clamp, I then was able to use it in what ever position made sense -- at the end of the table or the beginning, depending on the orientation of the long fence to the shaper.

My only use of the eccentric clamp was in using the shaper. It would seem to me that you can use the eccentric clamp in front of your forward crosscut block without the need to move it aft.

I have since bought a set of Mac's Airtight Clamps and use them extensively. They are much better and more versatile than the eccentric clamp. No doubt they are expensive, but they are value for money in my book. The eccentric clamp is now taking up space on top of my cabinets.

Mike

Mike, it’s a KF500 Pro. It has two crosscut blocks for the short cross cut fence. The longer crosscut fence connects to the outrigger. in my case the saw came with the eccentric clamp, so I’m trying to use it because it’s what I have handy. I’m only using it now for ripping the edge on rough cut lumber but I could see it being useful on plywood and shaper work too. My thoughts were to order another T-Block for the clamp so I could leave this one between the two crosscut blocks. More versatility anyway. Can’t afford the air clamps now. Down the road one day but too many other acquisitions came together this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Greg, is that a Felder KF700 you have? Are the crosscut blocks for the short crosscut fence?

I have a CF741 that I used to use the eccentric clamp on. I attempted to put a short crosscut fence on the slider, but could not adjust the mounting so that the fence could be remounted to be square. In fact, a Felder technician came by and also was unable to adjust it for square. The result was that I sent the fence back. When I used the eccentric clamp, I then was able to use it in what ever position made sense -- at the end of the table or the beginning, depending on the orientation of the long fence to the shaper.

My only use of the eccentric clamp was in using the shaper. It would seem to me that you can use the eccentric clamp in front of your forward crosscut block without the need to move it aft.

I have since bought a set of Mac's Airtight Clamps and use them extensively. They are much better and more versatile than the eccentric clamp. No doubt they are expensive, but they are value for money in my book. The eccentric clamp is now taking up space on top of my cabinets.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Mine has gone unused since I bought one of these:
    https://www.kregtool.com/store/c29/b...3-bench-clamp/
    Dan, how do you attach that to the track on the slider?

Just a bolt and a washer. Slides in the slot from the end. Not as heavy-duty as the Felder clamp, but very convenient.

I also have the Kreg It pulls the wood in the direction of the squeeze handle, I found it works best at the front in front of the fence as it pulls the wood into the fence. I attached mine to a piece of BB made a tee nut from maple and used a kipp.
    I have since made air clamps and no longer use it on the saw, hate to say it but in the long run the airtight clamps are the way to go.

mark

D3BCB9A6-EF68-4B65-A414-63E51A3EF39D.jpgDEFF0DD0-FDC4-467F-B632-6DB82E8CD1BC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Dan, how do you attach that to the track on the slider?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I’m only using it now for ripping the edge on rough cut lumber
    As an aside, if you flatten and thickness (at least partially) first, you'll have a better result with ripping your edge(s) on the wagon and may be able to eliminate the edge jointing step if you clamp things down, use a sharp blade and make your cutting pass at a steady pace. That's what I do 100% of the time. Rarely do I rip anything that's still "rough" and when I do, it's likely because it's a funky board that will process more efficiently if I split it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. I did joint and plane the boards but meant the edges were rough still. Rather than joint the edge I was cutting on the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As an aside, if you flatten and thickness (at least partially) first, you'll have a better result with ripping your edge(s) on the wagon and may be able to eliminate the edge jointing step if you clamp things down, use a sharp blade and make your cutting pass at a steady pace. That's what I do 100% of the time. Rarely do I rip anything that's still "rough" and when I do, it's likely because it's a funky board that will process more efficiently if I split it.

I’m starting to learn that you have to somewhat reconfigure the saw each time you change operations with the slider more-so than with my prior cabinet saw.

For example, I’ve decided to simply remove the crosscut blocks when not in use. The Allen set screw have been drilled into the slide so it’s easy to remove and replace in exact spot. That makes it easier to move the eccentric clamp around as needed for edge ripping on freshly jointer and planed wood.

Then I realized that for ripping the boards lengthwise to measured size would work better with the original diving knife mounted blade/dust guard so I rigged that up to swap in and use for smaller rips like 1.5” pieces. Safer and easier to get the push stick past it over my other suspended blade/dust guard.

So, I’m learning that I’ll need to work more batch like in the same way I’ve learned to do with the combo jointer/planer.

Blog Entries
    Greg, if you have the long crosscut fence on the far end of the outrigger table (the forward position), then there's no reason you cannot rip then crosscut without reconfiguring the saw. If you are trying to use the short crosscut fence, it's a different matter. One of the things that's a bit hard to learn is that on the slider, the crosscut fence is usually in front of the piece being cut.

In this configuration, parallel guide bars are quite useful and do not interfere with crosscutting.

Mike

Mike, I have both the outrigger with long crosscut, and the shorter crosscut. Also have one Felder parallel guide assembly. Will try that approach next time. Just finished batching a bunch of boards into strips for cutting boards. Thanks.

Greg, if you have the long crosscut fence on the far end of the outrigger table (the forward position), then there's no reason you cannot rip then crosscut without reconfiguring the saw. If you are trying to use the short crosscut fence, it's a different matter. One of the things that's a bit hard to learn is that on the slider, the crosscut fence is usually in front of the piece being cut.

In this configuration, parallel guide bars are quite useful and do not interfere with crosscutting.

Mike

One of the things that's a bit hard to learn is that on the slider, the crosscut fence is usually in front of the piece being cut.
    It's for this reason that the majority of my cross-cutting is done with the smaller miter fence on my slider rather than the larger fence on the outrigger when the piece isn't too large to be supported with the smaller fence setup. I prefer the fence to be behind the workpiece for precise cutting. Cross cutting with the outrigger fence works just fine, but requires a lot more concentration to insure that the material stays on the fence as you push through the cut; easy with panels/sheet goods, but more of a reach with solid stock. I work mostly with solid stock so that likely affects my preference here.

Greg, you're correct that there is sometimes reconfiguration for different cuts, but I don't view that as a negative at all. It helps keep the pace sane ... less rushing "should" result in less mistakes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...