Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Splitting generator output question

Jim
    My "portable" generator has multiple outlets, of differing voltages, and amperage ratings. I have a Generac GP-17.5KW, generator.
    I have a 240/50amp, 240/30 amp. 120/20 amps, both GFCI protected, and not, at the generator, and 12vdc.

A person running a portable generator, whether back feeding, or not, really needs to understand the grounding. Probably, at most, there will be problems with GFCI protected circuits, but,,,,
    Lots of "newish" NEC codes, and OSHA requirements, have happened in the last decade. If you're going to run a portable generator, be damn careful, or break down and hire an electrician to install all the correct electrical equipment. Or, do as you have done, and install a permanent standby unit.

Off the soap box for now.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Yes Mike, it’s ground neutral bonded to the frame. I’ve done a little more digging on the ole interwebs since I started this thread. Driving a ground rod in is in the game plan. The schematic can be found here.

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/C...17-56278-10847

I've just finished doing you want to do. At the entry point, I have a disconnect box from an AC unit that has two 20 amp breakers, which the 30 amp 220 feeds. From the generator to house, i use a #10, 4 wire cable with NEMA L14-30 ends on it. The disconnect box has a built in male NEMA L14-30 plug. From the breakers to recpt., I'm using #12 wire. Because I'm feeding a outlet box with two 20 amp recpt. in one box, which means two circuits, the breaker has tie bar connecting both sides together. This way if one side trips, so does the other. I also am building a generator shed, and have added electric start to generator. I own more generators than I have fingers on one hand, plus I bought another today. If it wasn't so late and seller so far away, I would have bought another in the last hour

When hurricane Irma came through I was so unprepared it was scary. And I might add I had a wife that was 8 months pregnant at the time. I ended up going alittle overboard.
    I purchased a Generac 7500W generator, Built a small lean to shed on the side of the house, and wired up a breaker panel interlock kit.
    The hurricane that almost came through last week I felt so much more prepared.
    With this generator I can power everything in the house except the central AC. BUT if I really want to run the AC I can make a few adjustments , like turning off the water heater, and any other unneeded rooms, to the breakers I can run the central AC.
    I use alittle trick I picked up from some AC techs I know. I'll mostly only use that when we go to bed.

And I just realized I don't have any pictures of the shed finished.

2017-09-24 17.20.15.jpg2017-09-24 17.25.28.jpg2017-09-24 17.20.34.jpg2017-11-22 16.23.50.jpg2017-11-22 16.23.59.jpg2017-12-02 13.26.12.jpg
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    I spoke with Caterpillar customer service. They are very helpful and on call 24/7 which is good to know. I pretty much got the green light for what I need to accomplish. I just need to keep loads balanced across both sides. Here’s their cord that splits the 240........
    Attachment 415588
    The locking plug looks like a 20A, if it is a 30A then there is a problem with the 20A connectors.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    The locking plug looks like a 20A, if it is a 30A then there is a problem with the 20A connectors.
    That's an important point that at least one other poster and myself brought up, but it's being completely ignored by the OP.

I know a lot of this stuff is code, but why would there be a safety issue if the male plug is 30 amps? When we run a multidrop convenience outlet circuit we put 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker.

If the wire in this extension cord is rated for 30 amps, you could plug multiple loads into the 20 amp female plugs, as long as the total does not exceed 30 amps - and any individual load does not exceed 20 amps. I'm being general here and not taking into account any derating that might be required for a continuous load. I note that the circuit breakers on the generator are labeled as 28 amps.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nope.... That's a 220V 30A L14-30 locking plug. 20A plug has the key prong going outward and the 30A has it going inward.
    When I was looking at generators some of them came with this cord and it plugged into the 30A outlet.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8