Thread: Need a chuck

Need a chuck

I purchased a Barracudda 2 Chuck package last year and have enjoyed it very much. I tried ordering just the Chuck and the people who I ordered it from, Penn State ind. said they no longer sell the Chuck as one piece anyore. Does anyone have one for sale? Or what Chuck out there used the same jaws as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Keel View Post
    ... Or what Chuck out there used the same jaws as mine.
    I've seen that question asked several times but with no definitive answer. Even when some people said certain jaws fit certain other chucks others found they didn't.

Do you have the quick change jaws?
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/pe...eration-hazard

JKJ

Harry

You need to have this moved to the turner forum. I don’t know of any other chuck jaws that fit the barracuda.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 09-04-2019 at 7:43 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

No sir it is not the quick change chuck.

How do I have this post moved? Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Keel View Post
    How do I have this post moved? Thank You.
    I've moved it to Turning.

JKJ

I also own that chuck. It didn't take long to realize I needed better. I think you should really consider just buying a new chuck. The Nova's are a good value. I bought a Vicmarc and love it. I recently fell into a deal on a Nova Titan as well. The Vicmarc and Titan are about equal in quality, but I like the Vicmarc more. I have relegated the Barracuda to small stuff and plan to add a supernova 2 at some point. Then the barracuda might get sold.The SN2 is what I should have bought to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I also own that chuck. It didn't take long to realize I needed better. I think you should really consider just buying a new chuck. The Nova's are a good value. I bought a Vicmarc and love it. I recently fell into a deal on a Nova Titan as well. The Vicmarc and Titan are about equal in quality, but I like the Vicmarc more. I have relegated the Barracuda to small stuff and plan to add a supernova 2 at some point. Then the barracuda might get sold.The SN2 is what I should have bought to start with.
    I agree with Tom. I haven't used the Barracuda but have heard several say it they were not that impressed. Due to the limited availability of the chuck body or the chuck without the kit of jaws, I think I'd look for a different brand of chuck for the longer term.

There are lots of good chuck brands. I personally use the Tecknatool Nova chucks. Most come with the std 50mm jaws so as you buy more chucks you will accumulate several of those, but there are a bunch of very good accessory jaws available. Nova has several different chuck bodies and the jaws are interchangeable. The Nova chucks adapt to various lathes with different threaded inserts.

If interested, you can look at the manuals for the jaws and chucks here:
    https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/supp...rs/19000146373

I have several of the original Supernova chucks, some of the Supernova2 chucks, several of the smaller G3 chuck bodies, and one big Titan chuck. (I currently have 19 Nova chucks, some I bought used, some on sale. I hate to change jaws. And for how I work and with some students working on projects, it is incredibly useful to have multiple chucks, some with the same jaws.)

My most used chucks are the Supernova2s - I love the big allen wrench chuck key and the quality of the chuck.

The G3 chucks are smaller and less expensive but still good. I see them on Amazon occasionally for about $85. (Get notifications from camelcamelcamel.com for deals)

(No, I don't work for Nova! I just stuck their chucks largely for the jaw interchangeability, the quality, and the reasonable price.)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-04-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks to all of the replies everyone. I will probably order me a nova not sure if it will be a 2 or 3, but definitely time for a upgrade.

I am novice Turner and got the Nova G3 and several sets of jaws. It is a great piece of equipment.