Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - Looking for PM 3520B accessories

WTB - Looking for PM 3520B accessories

Looking for a couple items for my "new to me" PM 3520B lathe.

- a rotary vacuum adapter
    - bed extension
    - tailstock tilt away

Thanks
    Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN 46514

I have a jtturningtools.com vacuum adapter for my 3520B. It works great.

Pat, I have looked at those from JT and they are nice but pricey. I'm on a disability income and my budget was kind of killed buying the used PM3520. (but I couldn't pass it up as it was only 3ys old and the guy only turned 3 bowls and offered it to me for $2500)

Was hoping to find someone that is upgrading/changing lathes and getting rid of their old vac adapter.

Ricc

If on a tight budget (who isn't) search here and elsewhere many have made their own adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Looking for a couple items for my "new to me" PM 3520B lathe.

- a rotary vacuum adapter
    - bed extension
    - tailstock tilt away

Thanks
    Ricc Havens
    Elkhart, IN 46514
    I have a rotary vacuum adapter that I didn't like for some reason and got another one. It might have been because it was more trouble to put on the lathe than I liked. I bought it used with a vacuum pump and some vacuum chucks. I'll try to find it and remember why I got a different one and let you know, if not tomorrow then Sun or Mon.

Joe Woodworker has instruction and sells parts to make your own. https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneer...umchucking.htm

JKJ

Mike and Steve, thanks for the suggestion of making one. I tried that a couple years ago for my Jet 1642 based on info here and other online sites. Even though I bought and used the bearings recommended in those tutorials. After a couple failed attempts I gave up I could never get them to stop leaking. So I would just borrow my buddy's vac adapter that he bought from JT Tools. But his won't work on the PM3520 so I no longer have that option.

Thanks
    Ricc

I saw a 3rd party manufactured swing away for the 3520...on the AAW forum. Not sure if I can post that link here, but if you cant find it on the Marketplace thread section - PM me, and I will shoot you the link in that manner. I think the seller wanted...$75...? and it is not the heavy cast iron style as the Powermatic is- so shipping should be a sane amount.
    T

John, did you ever find the rotary adapter and remember what you didn’t like about it?

Tim I saw that. But it just swings the tail stock to the side instead of sideways and then down. Not sure if it would interfere with the backrest of my captured hollowing rig. Still giving it some thought.

Ricc

John, did you ever find the rotary adapter and remember what you didn’t like about it?

Tim I saw that. But it just swings the tail stock to the side instead of sideways and then down. Not sure if it would interfere with the backrest of my captured hollowing rig. Still giving it some thought.

Ricc
    No, been running like crazy, hopefully later today.

bump for the new week

Hey Ricc, I made a rotary vac adapter for my 3520b, been using since 2010. I can take some pics if interested along with some notes to construct. Parts involved: small bearing about $8; scrap 2x2x2 block of wood, piece of 1/2” copper pipe about 3” long, O-ring style outdoor hose washer few small wood screws
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

bump for the new week
    I haven't yet found the vacuum adapter. I wonder if I loaned/gave it to someone and forgot....

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Hey Ricc, I made a rotary vac adapter for my 3520b, been using since 2010. I can take some pics if interested along with some notes to construct. Parts involved: small bearing about $8; scrap 2x2x2 block of wood, piece of 1/2” copper pipe about 3” long, O-ring style outdoor hose washer few small wood screws
    tim, always interested in things like that. I did try making my own years ago for my Jet 1642 using a bearing and misc parts based on a web article I saw somewhere. After two failed attempts I gave up. It always seemed to leak. So I bought one. But the one I bought didn't fit the PM 3520 so it went with the Jet when it sold. But, if I can't find one used to buy I may give it another try.

Ricc

tim, always interested in things like that. I did try making my own years ago for my Jet 1642 using a bearing and misc parts based on a web article I saw somewhere. After two failed attempts I gave up. It always seemed to leak. So I bought one. But the one I bought didn't fit the PM 3520 so it went with the Jet when it sold. But, if I can't find one used to buy I may give it another try.

Ricc
    Ricc, I posted a DIY for the vacuum adapter in the turners forum. Let me know if any questions or possible corrections.
    Tim
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Tim - thanks I'll check the info on the DIY.

Bump for the weekend crowd on the other accessories