Thread: Teapot

Teapot

I haven’t posted any work recently. This piece was different from what I have previously done and my first attempt at a teapot. The base is one piece carved and turned, white oak. 7 1/2” to lid top and about 5 1/2 wide. Dyed black and textured. C&C welcome.

fullsizeoutput_a88.jpg fullsizeoutput_a8e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_a8a.jpeg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

William...I've been meaning to do a teapot for about 15 years and still haven't done it....so I tip my hat sir. Very cool looking design. Is the spout an integral part of the base, like a limb?
    It's a pretty piece. nicely done
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks John. The spout is not a limb. The pot is a single blank with a carved spout.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Very nice. I'm terrible at carving. Just not in the genes I'm afraid. But your piece is an inspiration to maybe blow the dust off my carving stuff
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

You can carve. I can barely draw a stick man. This is totally different.

I like this teapot, different shape than most I see but looks correct for some old pot you’d expect to see sitting on a wood stove. Well done!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Nice teapot. I far prefer to see one made from one piece of wood unlike some who make a separate spout and glue it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    I like this teapot, different shape than most I see but looks correct for some old pot you’d expect to see sitting on a wood stove. Well done!
    The other John Jordan turns teapots at times. A few pictures of his, perhaps for ideas:
    https://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/gallery.html
    http://collectorsofwoodart.org/artist/portfolio/19/409

He said at the band around of the spout he uses the gouge as usual but turns the lathe by hand, all the way around except at the spout. I'd like to try that some day.

https://marcsitkinphotography.zenfol...A9D8#hca7ea9d8

I turned a bowl with carved handles and feet but didn't think to partially turn the circumference like that. Clever. I turned my bowl with rings then carved to leave the handles and feet. Could have done a teapot spout that way but JJs technique would have been faster. Maybe a teapot with a spout and feet?

carved_bowl_process_IMG_201.jpg B032_carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice teapot. I far prefer to see one made from one piece of wood unlike some who make a separate spout and glue it in.

The other John Jordan turns teapots at times. A few pictures of his, perhaps for ideas:
    https://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/gallery.html

He said at the band around of the spout he uses the gouge as usual but turns the lathe by hand, all the way around except at the spout. I'd like to try that some day.

https://marcsitkinphotography.zenfol...A9D8#hca7ea9d8

I turned a bowl with carved handles and feet but didn't think to partially turn the circumference like that. Clever. I turned my bowl with rings then carved to leave the handles and feet. Could have done a teapot spout that way but JJs technique would have been faster. Maybe a teapot with a spout and feet?

carved_bowl_process_IMG_201.jpg B032_carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg

JKJ
    Thank you Tim. I appreciate your comments.

JKJ, The other John Jordan did a demo at our club on hollow forms. However he did bring a few of his teapots that provided the inspiration. I didn’t ask how he turned it although. I turned just above and below the spout, then carved and sanded the remaining area.

I was happy with how black one came out, so I tried a second one with the handle carved. I did it, but not as happy. I think the handle is a bit oversize. I also tried milk paint (first time) on this one and after multiple attempts sanded it off and used acrylic. I almost cut the carved handle off and maybe should have. The picture is from our club show and tell, hence the name in the photo.

fullsizeoutput_aa7.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Thank you Tim. I appreciate your comments.

JKJ, The other John Jordan did a demo at our club on hollow forms. However he did bring a few of his teapots that provided the inspiration. I didn’t ask how he turned it although. I turned just above and below the spout, then carved and sanded the remaining area.

I was happy with how black one came out, so I tried a second one with the handle carved. I did it, but not as happy. I think the handle is a bit oversize. I also tried milk paint (first time) on this one and after multiple attempts sanded it off and used acrylic. I almost cut the carved handle off and maybe should have. The picture is from our club show and tell, hence the name in the photo.

fullsizeoutput_aa7.jpeg
    I like the look of that one but agree about the handle. When imagining that design in use as an actual teapot it looks a bit unbalanced. But without the handle the spout might look unbalanced. Perhaps a slightly smaller (and thicker) handle? How about a handle with carved indentations on the inside to fit the fingers and a thumb rest on the top for leverage? I like the finish!

I started to organize a group from our club to drive over to Nashville for a teapot class but it hasn't happened (it still might someday!) At least a half-dozen from our club expressed interest.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    How about a handle with carved indentations on the inside to fit the fingers and a thumb rest on the top for leverage? I like the finish!

JKJ

Carved finger fit! That can be your project, I’m done with teapots for a while. Actually it is not really unbalanced as the pot was turned to about 3/16” thickness. Still has a large handle that I could have made smaller though.

[QUOTE=William C Rogers;2951672]....Actually it is not really unbalanced as the pot was turned to about 3/16” thickness. ...

I meant visually unbalanced if one imagined lifting and pouring if that volume was full of liquid. Not an issue!

When I finally make a teapot I'll probably make it exceptionally grotesque.