Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craigslist bucket

Jason, here’s a link to a thread where I made a handle without a lathe. Many use this method, but without a lathe, it does take some patience.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-chisel-handle

Nice haul by the way!

Ya did good!!!!! Good haul.....A day well spent!!!
    Jerry

Jim,

I live in Northeast Wisconsin. I have updated my profile.

Phil,

Thanks for the link and nice job on the handle. I enjoy using hand tools vs my power tools. I like the the peacefulness and not having dust spray in my face and worrying about a finger going in the table saw.

So I took some steel wool to the rust on the chisel and it was made by the union hardware company in Torrington Connecticut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    So I took some steel wool to the rust on the chisel and it was made by the union hardware company in Torrington Connecticut
    One of my favorite chisels, 1-1/2", is from Union Hardware Company. They are actually a very good chisel, imo.

Handles.jpg

The Union chisel is on the left. It is actually a bevel edge chisel lying on the bench bevel down. The ash handle was made for paring and light mallet work. Here it is in action:

Union Shoulder Trimming.jpg

It does a great job trimming shoulders and cheeks.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-06-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So I will take some pictures when I get home, but I was able to remove the wooden plug from the socket of the chisel. What a bear that was! I tried burying a screw in it and pulling, but eventually I had to drill a hole in the center and remove everything with a 1/4" chisel. That was some good wood because the walls did not want to collapse. The mushrooming appears to be pretty minimal compared to others I have seen. It is maybe a 1/16th of an inch on the inside and out. It seems to have a decent fit on the end of my anvil but I'm not a blacksmith so I could be wrong. Is it best just to clean up the edges with a file seeing as it's pretty minor?

So here is the socket. I tried some filing but I haven't been to rough with it.i want to save the makers logo but I've been starting to think it way be easier to remove the part of the socket with the mushrooming. Or maybe I should find a local blacksmith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Will the socket fit over the horn of your anvil?

In the past others have mentioned wrapping the chisel in a damp cloth while heating the socket with a torch to reform the socket with a hammer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

The socket does fit over the horn. It's not the tightest fit but it fits. Should I add some heat and pound it out?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Jim,

The socket does fit over the horn. It's not the tightest fit but it fits. Should I add some heat and pound it out?
    That would be my choice. The socket to horn doesn't need to be a tight fit. What is wanted is a solid place to hit against as a backing to the hammer.

Maybe try a few hits with a hammer (large ball peen or sledge) to get a feel for it. Heat may not be needed. The socket should be mild steel.

You do want to avoid getting the working part of the chisel heated.

jtk

Well here is my progress after about an hour. It's better, but a lot of work to do yet. I did pound on it cold with the ball peen and the 4lb blacksmith hammer. It was moving, but I did try a little heat. I didn't get it glowing red but warm enough it helped smooth it out a little. I wrapped a wet rag around the blade, it got warm, but not hot enough that I couldn't hold my hand to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It looks pretty good. Is there a lip around the inside? That can cause a problem if it digs into a handle while you are trying to fit it. If it is a lip, a bit of flat filing across the top may get it to fall off.

jtk

Yes, there is a lip. I have a round file I was going to smooth that with but ran out of time. Still have a way to go

Blog Entries
    Here are almost all of my chisels that came with mushroomed sockets:

Mushroomed Sockets.jpg

Most of these came to me in lot purchases or were given to me.

The three on the left are pretty badly beat up.

The two on the left were ground to be skew chisels.

jtk