Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Tool Collectors Association Meeting in Springfield,Mo. - 2019

Midwest Tool Collectors Association Meeting in Springfield,Mo. - 2019

Attending the semi-annual meeting in Springfield, Mo in a few weeks

This will be my first meeting. I'm looking forward to meeting new people, buying some tools, and learning new techniques

Any suggestions on what to make sure I attend would be much appreciated

Heading down to Springfield tomorrow. Probably overnight somewhere west of Saint Louis. Get there Thursday. Hoping to meet some of you there.

Sure wish I could join you.
    Don't forget to post a report, afterwards! I for one would love to hear about it!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Arrived mid morning on Thursday. The parking lot sale was mostly over, but scored a nice rip saw and vernier depth guage

Today was the indoor sale. Lots of nice tools. Stayed away from the collectables.

Met James Wright of the Wood by Wright You Tube channel. Nice guy.

Grizzly Tools is down here too. Got some parts that I've been holding off of due to shipping costs

Auction was tonight. This raises money for the organization. Bought two large transitional planes, box of molding planes, nice tool books, and more rip saws.

Great bunch of people. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Sounds like fun!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

How was it overall? Worth attending?
    Jerry

Wasn't there one up in Saline, MI coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Wasn't there one up in Saline, MI coming up?
    Saline, MI Saturday, October 12, 2019

Transportation Issues this year.....maybe next time they will meet in Ohio....?

A couple things. To attend any of the meets that are sponsored by the MWTCA, you have to be a member. You can join at the door, but, you will be at a disadvantage as by the time the booth is open, you will have missed the early morning trading where the best tools are found. The fee to join is $25 and can be accomplished at mwtca.org. The reason is that there are hundreds of thousands of dollars in collectible tools on display and for sale, and the club likes to control access to who comes in and looks around for obvious reasons. Additionally, you are required to wear your name tag badge for the duration of the event. By registering, you will get the quarterly issue of the Gristmill as well as a reprint of the special publication committee which is typically a catalog from 100 years ago or more.

The meet next weekend is a regional meet, which is different from the national meets. The National Meets are twice a year, Spring and Fall. The Spring Meet is typically the better attended of the two. The Regional meets are much smaller and are typically attended by the folks which are from that region. The Meet on October 12 is the Area C regional meet which includes Michigan and Ontario. Regional meets can be as few as a dozen folks or 50 (or more) depending on the region. The national meets typically are 350-500 with some people travelling internationally to attend.

The next Ohio meet is next fall in Sandusky which will host the Fall National Meet.

Finally, I've been a member of the MWTCA since 1991, and it is definitely worth spending the $25/year and attending the meets if you even have a passing interest in old tools or collect tools to use.

Hope to see some SMC members at the next National Meet!

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Transportation Issues this year.....maybe next time they will meet in Ohio....?
    there is a area meeting Oct. 27, 2019 Grand Rapids, OH
    here is a link the list of the smaller area meetings https://mwtca.org/new-tool-meeting-p...ate-locations/
    look around on there site a bit https://mwtca.org/ it is worth it to join