Thread: Need help repairing damaged table top

Need help repairing damaged table top

A neighbor set his knee brace that he had sprayed with Frebreze on his dining room table for a few hours. I think the alcohol or some of the other ingredients in Febreze reacted with the finish leaving some nice blotches. I don't have any idea what finish is on the table.

Any suggestions on the best way to remove or minimize the damage would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

Table 1.jpgTable2.jpgTable3.jpgFebreze ingredients.jpg

I would first try wiping it with real mineral spirits. It won't hurt the finish in any way and if the table had wax on it it will remove that, and maybe the source of the problem.

John

John,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give it a try. My neighbor thinks it was built in China about 10-12 years ago.

Wayne

4. If you have some polishing compound, used for automotive finishes, use it with a cotton cloth. It will take some elbow grease but I bet it comes off. If you don't have any compound you can try some tooth paste or jewler's rouge. Good luck.

John and Glen,

Thanks for the suggestions. We tried MS to no avail. My neighbor is going to try determining the finish (lacquer, poly/varnish or water-based) before taking any other steps. He is probably going to call a restorer for assistance if his wife doesn't buy a new table first. Appreciate the help.

Wayne

Well it was worth a shot. I just looked at the ingredients list you provided. There are several ingredients in it that would likely damage many finishes. You might give this product a shot before calling the restorer:

https://www.amazon.com/Guardsman-Wat...gateway&sr=8-7

John