Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy filling voids

Epoxy filling voids

Turning a bowl from a piece of pecan that was stored outside on the ground for more than a year. On first look it appeared to be nothing but rot but on closer inspection there was solid wood present. I managed to get it securely on the lathe and have turned away much of the surface rot but am left with a large -5.5" X 2"- chunk missing at the point where the side would angle toward the base. I could turn away the solid wood around the missing chunk but wouldn't have much of a bowl left.
    Think I will try to fill it with epoxy.
    Questions
    Which type of epoxy? Looking online there many different types for use in different applications.
    What can I use to color it? On You Tube some use a powder and some use a liquid coloring agent.
    What type of material can I use to make a dam around the area where the large chunk is missing.
    Thanks for any help

Hi Jim....If it were me (and that does not mean I'm correct or anything like that), I'd use a marine boat resin in this application. Building a dam is always fun. I did a couple vessels covered in resin and it can get complicated...If I were doing yours, I'd probably cut a piece of aluminum flashing to get the curvature (slightly larger than the piece's curvature) and tape it in place with duct tape or strong masking tape.
    I've only had experience with the liquid dyes....worked well for me. don't know anything about the powders.
    I'd be interested to see a picture of your gap....and then your final solution
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That big of a spot you might try mortising a piece of wood in there to fill it. If you just want to fill it you could mix a universal tinting color into bondo to fill it. Just make the color a little less red to allow for the red in the hardener.

I've never used it on wood, yet, but I use 3M Aluminum foil tape quite often for doing things like epoxy. It sticks great and can be formed. There's no stretch so if you have multiple curves it's not going to stretch like vinyl tape would.

I haven't used it in turnings yet, but in other similar applications -- WEST system marine epoxy thickened (and colored) with sanding dust from the species of wood being filled.

I assume you've seen the quote, "Life is too short to turn crappy wood." Is wood in short supply around you? Around here, I have about 2 lifetimes of wood stored away. Ash trees are being taken down by the hundreds because of Emerald Ash Bore. I would not make the investment in resin and labor to save that, find a new chunk of wood and have a new bowl in short order.

I am using this as a practice piece to attempt things I have never tried before even though I have other wood available. And I do tend to be a bit determined at times. Maybe stubborn.

If you don't try how will you know what you can do?

Yup...I agree. If it weren't for frivolous experimentation, I'd never know how far I could take my craft. That's the adventure.
    ~john

Deteriorating wood may not bond well. Getting smacked in the face with a 5” chunk of cured epoxy or whatever you may use doesn’t sound like a situation I would risk just to “try things I have never tried before.” Be safe and use a solid piece of wood for your experimentation.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Do the edges of the void look natural? Around here people pay extra for fancy holes and voids. Dont pour to thick if your using duct tape as a dam. I learned the hard way when my first pour ended up in the bowl i was using to to keep a void level. The heat melted the and released the tape at the edges of the cardboard i was using. The next attempt was in 2 pours a small pour the seal the edges then a pour to fill the void.
    Last edited by Chris A Lawrence; 09-03-2019 at 5:36 PM.

My oh my....what has happened to the Sawmill Creek Turning Forum? Many years ago when I first joined...before I knew what a tool rest was for....this place was like a family. People posting their stories and pieces....maybe 20 per day....everyone having a ball critiquing and offering tips. No one afraid to try new things...no one in fear of disapproval. Just everyone having a good time learning from everyone. Good and bad.
    My first piece was a disaster. But I posted it. No one made fun of it....just encouraged the next attempt.
    Andy Hoyt....a couple months before he died, called me at home one evening. I didn't know Andy except from the Creek. He was so sad he had so little time left and that he would miss everyone here. God he loved being here and playing around with everyone.
    But that was another time.
    We've lost something.
    No one posts their pieces anymore. Most of the chatter is about tools.
    Someone asks advice about something they want to try and get a finger wagged in their face...."Don't do that!!!!"
    Well back in the old days...the advice would have been..."Cool!!!...be careful though...stay clear of shrapnel....pay attention to your technique and stay clear"
    But not today.
    What has happened to my turning forum?
    I think it's time to get back to the adventure.
    Life's too short.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    What has happened to my turning forum?
    I think it's time to get back to the adventure.
    Life's too short.
    My sentiments exactly. Thanks for saying it John.

A few thoughts related to John's comments on lack of adventure. "Back in the day" there was a lot more camaraderie on the creek and folks posted a lot more. I started turning in 2009 and received solid encouragement and advice from folks on the creek. Most of those - Keith Burns, Curt Fuller, David Keller, Steve Schlumpf, just to name a few, were accomplished turners doing artistic work. There was enough exchange on the creek that most everyone knew the skill level of those posting. The mission of turning seemed to be - be safe, have fun, and be creative, with the emphasis on "be safe" as without that, having fun and being creative were remote possibilities. I received considerable advice from those folks. They asked the right questions, and gave me information that was valuable. Sadly, most of those folks no longer post their work or participate on SMC. In fact, it is on rare occasion that I post anymore and then only to applaud the accomplishments of some of my students at my John C. Campbell classes. While I do not use social media, I think that is probably where folks are gathering instead of on forums such as this.

In this situation, none of use know the skill level of Jim, we do not know the tools he uses, his techniques, the speed at which he turns, and most importantly, we do not know what Jim means when he says "to attempt things I have never tried before." Do those "things" relate to tool use, embellishment, etc. What we do know is that the wood in question has considerable rot. We know that there is a large "missing" chunk of wood, which would seem to indicate it is not a natural void, but we do not know for sure. There are no pics of the wood, no indications of what Jim intends to "attempt" and no indication of the shape or size of the remaining wood, nor the speed at which it will be spun.

Without knowing these things, it seems imprudent that he undertake vague suggestions as to how to deal with this particular inquiry. It would seem a better approach would be to seek more information from Jim, along with pics of the wood, an explanation of what he hopes to achieve, etc., before encouraging him to try adventuresome efforts.

When I teach I have a variety of students - most with several years of turning behind them, some not. But, universally, I find that most of them over estimate their skill level. Safety is the PRIMARY concern. I shudder at the thought that I led someone to attempt something that got them hurt.

Yes, in the past I have tried techniques that presented potential for not going well. But, that was my choice and even though I learned from them, without knowing considerable information about another's abilities I would never suggest that someone else try those techniques. Given the injuries and deaths that have occurred in the turning world from flying debris, often involving experienced turners, I am much more aware of the potential for injury. Many folks have not had instruction, supervision and guidance from mentors and the risks are much greater for them.

I don't intend to further debate the suggestion of "frivolous experimentation" and this will be my last post in this thread. I just hope that good sense will prevail here and Jim offers up more information so that an intelligent exchange can occur about what might be his best method of accomplishing what he hopes to accomplish.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Images

Hard to get an image that is detailed enough.
    Pecan piece 1.jpg
    Pecan piece 2.jpg

I have been working at turning bowels for a few years and was never happy with my efforts. Earlier this year I considered giving up and selling everything. And then I realized that I was letting "perfect" get in the way of "good". And that realization took a load off and now I turn and what I do is the best that I can do on that day. To heck with what anyone else thinks. Turning is now a lot more fun.
    This piece of wood gave me an opportunity to do something with epoxy and that was my goal. Just give epoxy a try and learn from the experience. That doesn't mean I want to be reckless and get hurt in the process so comments about what could go wrong and produce a wreck are appreciated.
    I have dug out the rot with the screw driver ground into a point shown in the picture. Strangely enough the black wood is the hardest The light colored wood in the image was soft and I dug out what I could. Currently a sharp point will penetrate the soft wood no more than 1/8 of an inch.
    FWIW-I tend to turn in the 400-500 rpm range and use Irish grind, Easy Wood tools and a heavy duty scraper when appropriate.

Thanks for the comments and criticisms.