Thread: Entertainment Center Barndoor Commision

Entertainment Center Barndoor Commision

I have been asked to build 4 barn-door style doors for an entertainment center. Normally I do handyman work and some carpentry. This is not outside the range of my skillset but I'm not sure how to bid it. I can bid the materials but not sure how much time they would require.

What would you charge for 4 doors of this style 38" x 23" painted white? Also what's a good source for the hardware? Thanks.

Entertainment center doors.jpg

2019-09-03.jpg

I did a search on Amazon for 'Barn Door Rail', lots of stuff popped up.

Just and example
    https://www.amazon.com/SMARTSTANDARD...=bestcont06-20

What materials are the doors made from? Plywood and 1x2’s? Or solid wood? Your time would vary greatly on that; are you jointing and planing and gluing up a panel or are you slapping together something with a nail gun and glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    What materials are the doors made from? Plywood and 1x2’s? Or solid wood? Your time would vary greatly on that; are you jointing and planing and gluing up a panel or are you slapping together something with a nail gun and glue?
    I was planning on using rough poplar that I process down.

When you're looking at barn door hardware, be sure to get hardware scaled to fit cabinet doors. A lot of the hardware I see is intended for full-size passage doors, and is too big for cabinets. Here's one which is cabinet sized -- https://www.wwhardware.com/catalog/p...p-mount-black/

Helping a stranger with a commission bid is fraught with danger and misunderstandings. I don't know what speed you work, what tools you have, what your raw material costs are, what labor rate you charge, what your overhead is, what license, fees, and taxes you pay or don't pay if you work for cash, what salary you pay yourself, and the list goes on.......................

Looking at the style of cabinet, and the comment on building 4 doors--sounds like they want all the cabinet openings closed, then slide to open? If so, you'll also need to allow for each pair of doors to roll past each other. There must be a kit for that...i'd think.
    earl

There are two built ins. The doors will cover two of the four openings.

Wood Magazine ran plans for a similar entertainment system in their November, 2018 issue. Their doors were a little wider than yours (about 32"), but about the same height. This is the hardware they used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I8ZG82W

This set seems to be nearly identical to the ones identified by @ChrisA Edwards.