Thread: Wifi camera monitor questions

Wifi camera monitor questions

My 103 year old Mother lives by herself. I want to put monitoring cameras inside her home, that also have 2-way voice. Her house is 120 feet long, and the modem in about right in the middle. My main concern is reliability. I know, from other threads here, that there are a number of you that know a lot more about this type of thing than I do.

In reading the reviews on the wireless cameras, it seems like the number one complaint is dropping the signal, and losing picture.

Since my main want is reliability, and considering the length of her house, I'm wondering if we would be better off getting wired cameras, wired into wifi extenders. The way her house is built, with massive insulation in the attic, and little space for a person to do anything, hardwiring everything would be very difficult.

Please, consider that I know next to nothing about this stuff, other than what I've read on the internet in the past hour, or so. Also, I don't really care about trying to save money, but we have no need for a monthly service, or any kind of security, other than picture, and voice. We do want multiple cameras, easily accessible to our phones.

Any ideas, and suggestions are much appreciated.

Since money is no option I have a couple of sugs Improve the wifi signal with a mesh network. I have a large house and use 3 google wifi nodes. Very simple to use and setup. Buy one see how it goes, and add other nodes if cameras are losing wifi. Sug 2, is buy netgear arlo pro cameras. These cameras are battery operated and last about 6 months on a charge. The other benefit is that the base station plugs into your internet and it creates its own low powered wifi network that will easily work within your 120 feet. You also get 1 week of cloud storage for up to 5 cameras for free. Downside is arlo cameras are expensive. Arlos are my favorite for external use. I think if I was setting up a inside system for my parents, I'd go with the google mesh wifi and buy a bunch of wyze wifi cameras. These cameras are $25 bucks with free cloud storage.

Sounds good to me Mark. Many thanks! I did notice that the Arlo cameras had the best reviews on some of the sites I looked at, but also have found out that those reviews are not always what they seem like on the surface.

edited to add: Should I change the wifi cable modem supplied by Spectrum to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    ...Improve the wifi signal with a mesh network. ...
    .....+1.....

A friend of mine is using the Ring cameras in his home with great success. There's no monthly charge but there obviously must be reliable WiFi in the home and an Internet connection for you to be able to monitor them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom, since you have the cable modem, just buy the 3 pack of the Google wifi. You could replace your modem and save the monthly charge. We have 4 levels in our house with tin walls and ceilings, after setting up the google wifi we have great coverage. Only time we have lost signal is during power outage. Simply safe has reliable cameras, not sure if you need monitoring.

Thanks Bryan. Will do that.