Thread: refrigerators - no light in the freezer compartment?

refrigerators - no light in the freezer compartment?

In browsing to buy a new refrigerator online, I see that many models no longer have a light in the freezer compartment. ( In some cases, the optional ice maker has a light.) Is there a reason for this trend? (Of course, I'm looking at the cheaper models, $600-$700 labor day specials.)

Is there some sort of portable LED light that makes built-in lights obsolete? - like a portable light that can be used in drawers or unlighted closets?

I've never had a light in the freezer until my last refrigerator (LG). I thought it was pretty nice to have one up there but if it didn't not that big of a deal.

I had light in ours for a few days. Every time we opened it all the frozen Lady Fingers were circled around trying to get warm. So I took out the light and put in some meat labeled "Hot Dogs".

It's an energy conservation thingie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    It's an energy conservation thingie.
    I really doubt that...

6. In my samsung with the pull-out bottom freezer the lights are in the bottoms of the refrigerator doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I really doubt that...
    I agree.

I'm proposing that a light in the freezer can save energy- if you can find what you're looking for faster the freezer will be open for a shorter period of time. The energy needed to run an LED light is insignificant compared to the energy the refrigeration system uses.

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I agree.

I'm proposing that a light in the freezer can save energy- if you can find what you're looking for faster the freezer will be open for a shorter period of time. The energy needed to run an LED light is insignificant compared to the energy the refrigeration system uses.

-Tom
    It may not be about the savings in cost of energy. It may be about the savings in cost of manufacture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is a joke here about the light only works when the door is open. There is no way to check the switch to see if it goes out when closed. Unless you recruit a small baby.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    There is a joke here about the light only works when the door is open. There is no way to check the switch to see if it goes out when closed. Unless you recruit a small baby.
    One sign that the light is staying on is if the inside doesn't get cold. This used to be the first things to check if someone's refrigerator wasn't keeping things cold. Also the refrigerator would keep running all the time.

With the old incandescent bulbs you could feel the bulb when opening the door. If it was warm, it was likely on when the door was closed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    With the door open just push the light actuator with your finger and you will see it goes out....