Thread: All Lacquered Up For Labor Day

All Lacquered Up For Labor Day

Well, a three day weekend with most of the time spent in the shop. Now that's a weekend

Worked on 4 pieces. They all have 3 coats of lacquer and I think I'll let them cure for a week before the final coat.
    First up is one that I truly hate. Roughed it out about 8 years ago and never liked it but decided to finish it this weekend. NE walnut....8 inch diameter
    5468.jpg
    5467.jpg

Here's a 5 inch walnut and butternut box or Lidded bowl or whatever you want to call it. The knob is zebrawood
    5480.jpeg

This is an 11 inch walnut bowl. Went with the thick rim because I got so many compliments on the last one I did. I guess people like that sort of thing.
    5483.jpg
    5482.jpg

Last up is this 5 1/2 inch curly maple Lidded bowl box thing. The knob is some kind of ebony....not sure which continent.
    5477.jpg

All in all...pretty fun weekend.
    Last edited by John Hart; 09-02-2019 at 4:23 PM.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Beautiful work! A well spent weekend.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Thanks Clark!.....it was definitely a kick butt weekend. I should do that more often. Very therapeutic
    ~john

Really nice pieces and finishes also. Are you sure about the species--that first bowl grain doesn't look like walnut and the dark scalloped rim looks like Zirocote heartwood. Turned a few pieces in the past.

Thanks Robert....yep I'm sure. Gotta local sawmill here that does our local hardwoods. I get a truckload of firewood and pick out pieces to turn. That's just a piece of walnut firewood saved from the woodstove
    ~john