Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New G0632Z set up questions...new turner

1. Whenever you order your chuck, just get the 1.25” x 8 tpi adapter....most chucks have the choice of adapter sizes available for them.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks Roger

Sorry about that....by kits, I meant a system....or a purchase to provide the necessary items to get up and running. thanks

I think the supernova2 kits are a good value. And for you lathe the SN2 is a good match. I haven't really looked at the hurricane chucks, myself. As for chuck spindle adapters, I prefer those that are direct threaded (no adapter) because they sit closer to the spindle drive and inherently are more precise. Sometimes you can find the direct thread in kits or not at a slightly lower price than those with an adapter. The adapter does have the advantage that you can buy different adapters for other lathes (like 1" spindles).

I'm a fairly new turner, and I started with a barricuda chuck. I should have just gotten the SN2 kit. Since, I've purchased a vicmarc 120 and a Nova Titan. These are both real nice, but rather large (and expensive chucks). An SN2 is on my wish list. Though I will be giving the hurricanes a look too.

The Nova Titan is direct thread. No adapter. It is heavy and solid and since it will accept all the Nova jaws, it makes for a chuck you can grow with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    The Nova Titan is direct thread. No adapter. It is heavy and solid and since it will accept all the Nova jaws, it makes for a chuck you can grow with.
    I have a titan that has an adapter. Maybe they are available both ways? Or they've changed them over the years?

Does anywhere sell the SuperNova2 body only with direct thread? I’ve found the body-only adapter type but can’t find the direct thread (1 1/4 x 8tpi).
    tom

Tom, thanks for the information. I just wanted to acknowledge your post....short on time here...will try to get back with an update...Take care

Eugene, a quick thanks for taking a second to post. Gotta run to work. Take care

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have a titan that has an adapter. Maybe they are available both ways? Or they've changed them over the years?
    I have one direct threaded, couldn't find one that took an adapter. It's a powerfully hefty chuck.

The only downside for me is it won't take Nova's wrench for removing from the lathe. I plan to modify mine some day. (Yes, I know ways to remove the chuck but for some good reasons I prefer the wrench.)