Thread: Tent Cot or ?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tent Cot or ?????

Not till next fall, but looks like I will be taking part in a family cook out, camp out over a weekend.

Going to need a tent. Not wanting to spend big $$$$ as I may only use it one weekend.
    This tent cot caught my eye, Thoughts?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...eps-1/22716933

Should I look at anything else?
    Could save some $$$ and buy a tent, but not sure I want to sleep on the ground. I'm more of a hotel balcony with a view kinda guy.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-S...6f&athena=true
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-01-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

For a weekend, maybe that'd work. I'd prefer something more tent-like so I could change, spread my stuff out (a little), etc.

You don't really say what sort of weather you expect either. (Fall can mean Indian summer or it's snowing but the calendar hasn't ticked over to winter yet.) Cots can be cold in cold air.

For a single weekend, I'd check into rentals. I know REI offers good solid camping & backpacking gear for rent. I don't know if they are present in all areas, but I'm sure there are others in the business. (E.g. maybe a ski rental place has camping gear to keep busy in their off-season.)

For comfort, I prefer a heavy/thick full size self-inflating mattress. The only way a cot would beat that, for me, is if I had trouble sitting on the ground and needed the extra height. (Also a folding chair can go a long way to making camping more comfortable!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    ... I may only use it one weekend.
    I'd loan you mine if you were closer.

Take a look at renting. For the purchase price of a basic 1-2 person tent, you can rent a 6-person cabin tent for 2-3 nights. Not quite a resort hotel, but you don't have to worm your way in..?? And it doesn't sit in the attic for the next 25 years.

I don't know your area, but REI Co-op has rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I'd loan you mine if you were closer.

Take a look at renting. For the purchase price of a basic 1-2 person tent, you can rent a 6-person cabin tent for 2-3 nights. Not quite a resort hotel, but you don't have to worm your way in..?? And it doesn't sit in the attic for the next 25 years.

I don't know your area, but REI Co-op has rentals.
    Malcolm's got a really good idea Dave. I'd consider it.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you do wind up having to buy a tent, Academy Sports usually beats most other places as far as price points go.

I bought our tent, used, from the bay. I bought used because I could not find a tent tall enough for me locally at a decent price. This one is over 6 feet 6" so I can stand up and change clothes inside. I didn't think it through since we have a queen air mattress I can not actually stand up in the tent since the side areas are too short and the center is taken up by the mattress.
    .I bet stores like Target or Walmart are having, or soon will, have end of season camping gear sales.

One tip for a dome tent. Assemble the poles at home and measure the center of them. Spray paint the center portion a contrasting color for 6-12 inches, let dry. When you install the poles with the tent,flat on the ground, put the marked center over the tent center and tie them into place then fight and get the poles into the ends. This way the center of the poles is where it should be and no adjustments needed where you can not reach.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-02-2019 at 10:58 AM.

I'll thow in my 2 cents. In my younger years I spent several seasons tent camping/elk camping in Colorado. I tried several combinations of products for shelter and sleeping. My final setup was a 2 man tent with a nice sleeping bag laid out on a flocked air mattress. For remote camping away from your vehicle use a roll up Therma Rest foam mattress instead of the air mattress. I tried the cot route but could never get comfortable on one of those.

For my money, I'd go with an inexpensive tent and air mattress.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Thanks, some good info.
    Never thought one could rent a tent. Looked at a web site of a local family owned place and looks like a quality dome tent can be rented for $30 / 2 days.

Why I ask.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-02-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I have these. A cot or sleeping bag will do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=timb...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Blog Entries
    For the money you are going to spend on a tent and sleeping bag for a one time use, I would opt for a local hotel....Then you would get a nice bed, running water, private bathroom and maybe breakfast.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Contact a local Scoutmaster and see if he has any suggestions. There may be some for sale.

Timberline tents are good. I still have one.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=qld...67.8oiTyeeIP88