Thread: 2 days, just walking around

2 days, just walking around

Part 2: I was there to shop for old tools...
    Tractor Fest 2019, power tools.JPG
    These don't count...
    Tractor Fest 2019, Match planes.JPG
    $60 for the pair? Nope...(Match planes)
    Tractor Fest 2019, 2 planes.JPG
    #3 planes, work in progress...
    Tractor Fest 2019, saw.JPG
    Not sure what this is....there is a saw blade involved..
    Tractor Fest 2019, Yankee 41.JPG
    had all 8 bits...ooh, aaahhh...
    Tractor Fest 2019, Stanley spokeshave front.JPG
    Needs a clean up...

100 or so tractors of about every age group. Lots of Food Vendors, too....
    Was even a tractor powered saw mill..
    Tractor Fest 2019, saw mill problems.JPG
    And this thing followed me home..
    Tractor Fest 2019, No. 6.JPG
    Stanley No. 6.....

The No. 6 needs a few parts...
    Tractor Fest 2019, front knob.JPG
    Handles are like new....and are Rosewood...
    Tractor Fest 2019, frog face #6.JPG
    Iron, chipbreaker and a lever cap....and a lot of cleaning...no rush, as I have a Type 10 No. 6c in the shop...Will know more when I clean it up..
    Tractor Fest 2019, belt problems.JPG
    Saw mill was having issues...with the wide belt, and the blade starting to wobble...and they were just sawing pine logs...that silver pipe by the doorway...is a part of the dust collector....Cyclone sitting in the bed of a dumptruck outside the building.
    Tractor Fest 2019, saw mill.JPG
    They were almost to the end of the log when things stopped...
    Tractor Fest 2019, small stuff.JPG
    Most of these were running/puttering along....green all the way on the end is running a water hydrant.....pumping water up, and into a bucket.
    Was a busy day...or two. Doubt IF I will go back tomorrow for the 3rd day...

Note:

Also picked a 4 pack of 80" bandsaw blades, and added a couple singles to go with it. $30? Considering that Lowes charges almost $10 a blade for that length....may have saved a little bit?

Found a glass "jug" to build a light kit with...$0.25.....lamp is assembled, and working good. Shame it didn't have the 5th or so of Whiskey in it.....

Sitting on a bench, under the eaves of a shelter....just in case it would rain while I ate my lunch. Listening to the "putt, putt, bang, putt.." of the little steamer engines.

On that large 2cylinder engine..he had to "wind it up" a bit, then spin the wheel the other direction.....and jump back....I watched water dribbling out of the bottom of the pistons, as they slid along......was a fun 2 days...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    ......was a fun 2 days...
    Sure looks like it was!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Type study on the No. 6.....appears to be a Type 7, or 8....

Small wheel, no patent dates on bed, No 6 on toe, no frog adjust screw, STANLEY on the lateral lever, with at least one patent date ( still cleaning things up) low knob, no ring. Rosewood handles, trying to free up the frog bolts right now...PBBlaster soaking. Have an iron available, Chipbreaker from a trans needed a new slot. Have a lever cap that will do if this plane is just a user. Tote has a small crack along the bottom edge, can be repaired. Have not found any chips, nor cracks in the bed. $10 for a No. 6..?

Will let the frog bolts soak their flat heads overnight, then see IF they will budge. Need the frog off, so I can clean the bed.....japanning is about 60% gone....

get this plane done, then start on the rest of the treasures....stay tuned..

The two #3s are now rehabbed..one took about 2 hours, to get from this...
    Defiance No. 3 rehab start.JPG
    To this...
    Defiance No. 3, assembly, front.JPG
    Defiance, by Stanley. Need an "Easy-out" to replace the bolt for the tote.....too big of a hurry, snapped it off
    Sole?
    Defiance No. 3, clean up 3.JPG
    Looks like it laid on it's side on a wet barn shelf....as for the other #3 sized plane...very little clean up was needed (1/2 an hour?)...
    Craftsman rehab, front view....JPGCraftsman rehab, right side view.JPGCraftsman rehab, sole view.JPG
    And a bit of sharpening...
    Craftsman rehab, shavings.JPG
    Flaky finish on the rear handle was removed. Have since added a coat of Amber Shellac, for now..
    According to the numbers under the frog....this was made by Sargent, and is the same as their #408 plane.
    Which leaves this type 7/8 plane to rehab..next
    Stanley No.6. Next.JPG
    I have a chipbreaker and an iron for it, have a spare lever cap from a Stanley No. 29.....will do for now. I have a Type 10, No. 6c in the shop.....as this one's sole is smooth.
    Might work on this one later, today....or just a small block plane instead...

Need a spot to hang 6 new bandsaw blades....Lowes wanted ~$10 a blade....I paid $30 for all 6. Various widths, 80" long. Various tpi too. Might come in handy?
    Need to sort through the bits in the Yankee 41, to see what all the sizes are.

Blog Entries
    Type study on the No. 6.....appears to be a Type 7, or 8....
    This is a time period where the type study gets kind of mushy. The differences between the type 7 or 8 is mostly whether it has an S or a B included in the casting and possibly how many patent dates are on the lateral adjuster. To make it even more interesting there are components from the time period without either letter but instead a dot on the frog, lever cap and base pieces. The ones with a dot are considered type 6a in the John Walter book. This is also when the depth adjusters started to appear with left hand instead of right hand threads.

One of my planes has a type 7 frog on a type 8 base. It seems even Stanley made a few Frankenplanes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In the cavity under the rear handle....there is an "S".....depth adjuster is left-hand thread. Handle bolts have Brass, "non- waisted" ends. Looks like a few patent dates on the lever.

The No. 6 on the toe has no space between the o and the 6....

Letting the frog bolts soak today.....

Blog Entries
    In the cavity under the rear handle....there is an "S".....depth adjuster is left-hand thread. Handle bolts have Brass, "non- waisted" ends. Looks like a few patent dates on the lever.
    The S and the more than one patent date would place your plane more toward being a type 7. My #7, from Fettling a plane from Junker to Jointer fame, is a type 7.

The "non-waisted" knob and handle nuts were usually two different sizes with a short one for the knob and a longer one for the tote.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well, hammer strikes on a BIG screwdriver,,,a bit of elbow grease....two flathead bolts are now loose, and cleaned up. Frog has been cleaned up...also found another "S" under the frog. Brass nuts are the same size, BTW.

Base has been cleaned up, rust removed....and two coats of black Rustoleum ( with primer in it) sprayed on top of what is left of the old Japanning ( 30%, maybe, left)awaiting the paint to dry, then clean things up.....including the frog. No sign of any cracks, either.

Priced a auction site lever cap, with the S on it....ouch..$35 or so!....Iron & Chipbreaker set for this era plane...$25 + shipping! And I only paid $10 for what I already have? For now, I'll "get by" with parts from a wrecked No. 29....

Should have the No. 6 making shavings as soon as the paint job is done.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-03-2019 at 8:36 PM.

Nice, wish I had been there; would have enjoyed it. I see you did not bring home any arkansas stones, so I am not tooooo jealous!

Ok...here we go...again.."Stem to stern?"
    Stanley No. 6, Low Knob.JPG
    Stanley No. 6, frog installed.JPGStanley No. 6, frog bed.JPG
    Stanley No. 6, STANLEY.JPGStanley No.6, S markings.JPG
    And the sole..
    Stanley No.6, cleaned sole.JPG
    to the shavings....
    Stanley No. 6, shavings!.JPG
    And the front view...
    Stanley No. 6, two planes.JPG
    Did I mention I also have a Stanley No. 6c, type 10?

Interesting place to shop....You did well and will enjoy the restorations
    Jerry