Thread: Hook and loop 5inch sanding disk

Hook and loop 5inch sanding disk

Hi all,

I am looking for a descent set of 5 inch sanding disk that will cover grit from 120 to about 1200. Does anyone know of a company that sells a set that covers this or am I going to have to just pick and choose each brand and quality? I have been looking at super grit Mirka but even Mirka doesnt make every grit available that I need. I also am thinking that if I use the P designation disk that I would need to go to 1200 but for regular disk about 800 grit may just do. For the finish I am looking for I have to have it as smooth as possible no exceptions.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

You might try Klingspor as they have a wide variety. I use them exclusively.

I am curious to know what you are sanding for which 1200 is needed? Also, what is the grit progression you envisage using?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I am curious to know what you are sanding for which 1200 is needed? Also, what is the grit progression you envisage using?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am starting a project and will be using Odies Oil as a finish. I saw a piece where a guy sanded to 1200 but not sure if it was 1200 or P1200 but then used odies oil and I mean to tell you it was beautiful. I have used odies oil on a few pieces that I sanded to 320 with and it just wasnt smooth enough for my taste. In the past I have used lacquer and was able to smooth it out if I did not sand enough but with odies oil that is not going to be as easy as with lacquer. I am still researching the grits that I want to use. I dont want overkill but dont want to under do it either. I am thinking 120 220 320 400 then I dont know whether to use 500 or skip to 600 then either 700 or 800. What I have read I believe that I might be able to stop at 800 if I use a standard 800 but if I use P standard I may need to go to P1200.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

2sand.com goes up to 2000
    check them out
    https://2sand.com/sanding-discs/hook...nd-loop-discs/

Someone who actually sands to 1200 can probably give you an actual grit progression to use. All I can tell you is that going from 120 to 220 is too large a jump, but you can easily skip some of the higher grit steps you plan to use. I remember reading a rule of thumb something like jumping no more than 50% of your last grit, so you might go from 120 to 180, but go from 400 to 600 and 800 to 1200.

(I go 120 to 150 to 180 or 220, so I don’t really follow this rule myself, but you can see the concept.)
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 09-01-2019 at 11:51 PM.

I've used Dura Gold, and been satisfied - although I've never used the super-fine grits you're looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DTFSQVF

Festool Granat has all the grits you require and more. That line goes up to P1500.

If you want even more - their Saphir line goes to 4000 grit .

https://www.festoolusa.com/knowledge/abrasives#125mm

Abranet goes from 80 to 800, but they use P, so the 800 may not be fine enough for you??
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Are you sanding with a RO sander or by hand? If you are using a sander, the Festool paper probably won't work on non-Festool sanders. Otherwise the Granat is great paper; probably not the least expensive out there, but not really all that bad.

I agree with others don't skip grits especially on the lower end; 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400 (starting wherever you are planning to start). I have never sanded bare wood above 400. Usually I stop at 150 and then sand in between finish with higher grits; usually 400, but higher might be better if you don't like the result from the 400 level of quality.

If you are staining, going above 150 will stop the stain from being absorbed into the bare wood.

I saw a demo of a finish progression sanding to 150 (sometimes 220 depending on the project) before applying a non-stain finish; then 400 in between with use of synthetic pads from Mirka, Mirlon specifically, for the final coat. The Mirka Mirlon pads at the higher grits; like 1200 I think really permit a nice smooth final finish when used between the next to last and last coats.

I buy from 2Sand and really love Indasa Rhynogrip. My progression is (sometimes if necessary 60, 100): 150, 220, 400, 600. I find Rhynogrip to be very durable.

I have Mirka Abranet discs in 800 and 1000. I use them sometimes, but what I really love recently is the Rhynosoft 800 and 1200 flexible pads. They're pretty durable, and can be used for final polishing. In fact, the suction from a ros with a vaccuum will keep it stuck to the bottom of the sander and you can even use it that way; although I tend to use it with mineral spirits by hand. I find that the paper on the RHynosoft is so durable, even after the grit has worn off, it still does a great burnishing of the final finish to knock off any dust nibs, without dulling the surface.

Mirka also makes Abralon pads that go all the way up to 4000 grit that work similarly.

I don't think you need to be too picky about grit skipping after 600. Any of these function about the same: 400-800-1200, 400-600-1000, 400-600-1200.

You may consider starting to apply the oil after 600, and then alternate sanding at the higher grits with oil coats. Take note of how the sheen and texture changes. It's subtle but worth it.

I thank you all very much. Very good info.

Industrial abrasives is another company. I bought from them years ago and prices seemed good.

Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.