Thread: Recommend a Drill Press Attachment for Sanding Small Parts?

Blog Entries

Recommend a Drill Press Attachment for Sanding Small Parts?

Hi everyone,

Can you recommend a drill press attachment for sanding small parts? Specifically wooden drawer handles.

I'm refinishing an old desk my wife got from her work. It has wooden handles on the drawers and I need to get the old finish off. I'm thinking something with multiple grits.

PHM

Klingspor has Mac Mops which I use for small parts.

Blog Entries
    Mops are great for irregular shapes but, not so great at stock removal. That is, they are more of a 'finishing sander' than a 'shaping' sander. If you are just trying to knock the outer film off or smooth what you have a mop is the way to go. If you are trying to get to bare wood on small odd-shaped items, I would just make new ones. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you're just wanting to remove the finish, I think I'd try some denatured alcohol or mineral spirits with an abrasive pad, and skip the drill pressl

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your replies. Good ideas all.

I got most of the old finish off with a finish remover I got at Woodcraft. I’m just trying to get the last of the finish off and sand the handles for the new finish.

I think I’ll try the mop. I’m thinking it might speed up the process.

Thanks again for your help.

PHM

Aside from the usual simple drill press spindles that take sleeves, I have seen a small inflatable model that would work better on soft curves.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

For stuff like knobs, I stick a screw in the knob & cut off the head - then stick it on a drill.

Sanding sleeves on a drill press can be bad ju ju......a drill press isn't designed for lateral stress. (DAMHIK----(((let's just say,,,a chuck a/a router bit in it spinning across the floor can get your heart rate up faster than treadmill.....))) )
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Sanding sleeves on a drill press can be bad ju ju......a drill press isn't designed for lateral stress. (DAMHIK----(((let's just say,,,a chuck a/a router bit in it spinning across the floor can get your heart rate up faster than treadmill.....))) )
    I prefer a flexible shaft with some sanding tool attached. Easier for me to hold the work in one hand and move the tool in the other. I don't know if you can put one on a standard drill press but you can get one for a Dremel. I use Fordom rotary carvers which have a long flexible shaft. Small sanding drums, soft sanders, flap sanders, and others are good - I use different things depending on the size and the amount I want to remove.

Blog Entries
    I went to Lowes and picked out one that I liked. It is a bench top model.

The inflatable sanding drums that you can use on your drill press are probably the best option if you're trying to sand finish off. You will need to use a rubber sanding eraser often so as to not gum up the sanding sleeves. The flap wheels are great but I don't think they are very good at all for removing much wood........ just smoothing. I also use the Foredom for sanding a lot of small parts, but you would have to purchase the Foredom and various sanding parts to fit on the end.

Just my $.02

Jim