Thread: Router Table Cabinet around Steel Stand?

Router Table Cabinet around Steel Stand?

I have a Rocker router table on a 4 open leg steel stand. Has anyone made a cabinet to fit in or around using the steel stand as the backbone? If so any pics or referencing to get started making my own cabinet would me most welcome! Thanks!

I bought a similar Woodpeckers Router stand, but decided to make my own cabinet to utilize some of unused space.

In the front I made a sliding panel that allows some air flow to help move the sawdust that gets sucked down into the cabinet. This helps when the ring around the bit doesn't allow much air to flow in through the top.

I bought a switch from either rocker or Woodcraft, mounted on the right side of the cabinet, so I could turn the router on/off.

I put a 4" dust collection port on the rear of the cabinet and also put the box on the left side that catches 90% of the sawdust when cutting a dado.

I used the Woodpeckers top, fence and lift. I also put the canute on locking casters so it was easy to move around.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 09-01-2019 at 9:50 AM.

Did the same, started with a steel frame and added wood sides and drawers. Here's an initial pic during construction. I have since added a movable 4 ft fence and an evaluated switch on the backside.

20190831_205205.jpg

thank you. That really helps. Probably easiiest is to just abandon the steel frame. I like the idea of the 4" dust shoot mod. Gilbert, Id like to see what you did with the stand but for some reason I cannot open the .jpg. Thanks again

I tried something similar enclosing a metal stand, and it would have been simpler to just make the wooden stand without the metal stand.
    · First the metal stand are ALMOST, but not, square so the wooden case must hold the metal stand square.
    · Second, the metal stand interferes with anything you want to do in the interior, such as drawers, shelves, or a bottom.
    · The stand does inherently provide attachments for the casters.

The issues are not major, but it's just simpler without the metal stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    I tried something similar enclosing a metal stand, and it would have been simpler to just make the wooden stand without the metal stand.
    · First the metal stand are ALMOST, but not, square so the wooden case must hold the metal stand square.
    · Second, the metal stand interferes with anything you want to do in the interior, such as drawers, shelves, or a bottom.
    · The stand does inherently provide attachments for the casters.

The issues are not major, but it's just simpler without the metal stand.
    makes sense. thats the way ill go. thx

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    thank you. That really helps. Probably easiiest is to just abandon the steel frame. I like the idea of the 4" dust shoot mod. Gilbert, Id like to see what you did with the stand but for some reason I cannot open the .jpg. Thanks again
    While you "can" construct a cabinet using the steel frame, it's likely a lot easier and more practical to just build a whole cabinet and re-use the table/fence setup. It's going to be a similar amount of material and rolling your own gives you a lot more options since you're not constrained to the size and foibles of the steel, bolt-together frame. A dedicated cabinet will most likely be a lot stronger and stable, too. Throw a simple top and shelf on/in that steel frame and use it as a mobile cart for project components, etc., if you have the space to keep it around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I drafted plans to make a router cabinet. But when the stand arrived I likedIMG_1548.jpgIMG_1550.jpg the square tubing so I made 2 drawers. Actually they hold basically what I need. So to answer the OP's question, yes I used the metal stand and added to it.

Gordon
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

I built 3 separate boxes to place in my incra stand. Kept the dust box separate, and it's sealed to the bottom of the top with high density foam. The "pass-through" has turned out to be one of the best ideas i've ever had--long stuff fits, and when i need to work on something--the stuff that had accumulated on the top can be placed on the drop-fronts. Pegboard at each end is handy as well. Granted, i started with the larger stand (part of a package i bought from a member here), so that helped with flexibility. Incra had a plan on their site--they probably still do. In retrospect--building a separate cabinet would have been just as easy. But, the 3 separate boxes could be changed pretty easily if i ever chose to--but that's not really likely!!
    earl
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Earl McLain; 09-01-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added pics.

Blog Entries
    This falls under the "remodel" or "build new" scenario. As others have mentioned, building new is often easier and more effective than remodeling.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rockler has a free plan to do this.

Blog Entries
    The incra stand has grooves, just insert plywood.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Everyone has a different reason and plan for how/why they do things. I have the Rockler table and steel stand. I already had a router bit drawer set up in a different cabinet that is closer to eye level and all the bits fit in one 30" x 24" drawer. I have another shelf above that for all of the jigs that go on the router table. I simply wanted a "box" under the table to capture dust. In that case I used scrap plywood inside the steel stand. It took more than 10 minutes but less than 20 and it works great.