Thread: Closet Organizer Lumber Selection Question

Closet Organizer Lumber Selection Question

Hi, I have a number of closet organizers around the house that need to be built as the original ones in the house need to be replaced. I wanted to see what type sheet goods are people using to make theirs? I would like to make them out of some sort of white laminated plywood but all I see around the SF Bay area is melamine MDF. I really despise MDF for things like this and was hoping for a better quality layer than the cheap melamine most MDF seem to use. Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks!

I have used painted mdf and plywood. Both work fine for a closet organizer.

The issue with plywood is you have to edge band it. That is not hard, just adds a step.

The problem with mdf is that is is not as good for joints on drawers.

Whatever you do, do not paint it with latex. I have used insilx urethane paint which is very good. But for a more professional look, if you have the ability to spray, use white tinted spray finish. I have used enduro clear poly from general finishes. It is easy to use and durable.

I used MDF for carcasses and shelves with maple plywood drawer boxes. I finished with tinted shellac primer with a poly clearcoat. Fifteen years later, their the only things that survived child rearing in tact. Quality MDF with a well sealed edge wears really well.

My favorite wood to build casework is cherry plywood with cherry hardwood for doors, drawer fronts and trim.
    Here's casework for the study.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For closet organizers, what might be considered the next step up from melamine MDF is prefinished plywood. Pre-fin is standard cabinet plywood (that is, softwood core with hardwood faces) which has been finished before it gets to the lumberyard. It is generally edgebanded with iron-on edge tape. In the Bay area, some places to buy pre-fin are MacBeath (Berkeley), and Aura (San Jose).

Can you expound a bit on why you don't like MDF ? It is quite consistent, flat , and stable. A pretty good material for carcasses that aren't subject to water.

Also, are you sure you're asking about the right product ? Melamine faced MDF is pretty rare in the USA at places most consumers shop. Melamine face plywood even more rare - basically non-existent. Melamine's typical substrate is particle board, sometimes called furniture board. Like everything else there are grades. You can get crappy $15/sheet ply or real baltic birch at over $100 / sheet. Same with particle board. Commodity grade is cheap and full of air and glue while waterproof is quite dense and will outlast any baltic birch you get in the Bay Area. You can get lightweight if that's what your project requires. None is available in stock at home center and is usually special order at the specialty places.

Laminate is a different animal too. Much thicker, durable and more expensive than melamine - it's generally not a stock item either. And rarely uses plywood for a substrate.

So, what are you really looking to specify and why ? You'll might also need to talk with a top or cabinet shop or a panel processor if you really want laminate both sides plywood for this project. I doubt you'll meet the minimum for big suppliers/manufacturers for this project.

Have you considered a vendor like easyclosets.com ? They'll deliver ready to install closets customized (to a degree) to your doorstep and have a wide range of colors to choose from. The big advantage with something like this is you can stagger the deliveries so you don't have material burying you. I assume space is at a premium if you live in SF.