Thread: Child Proofing

Child Proofing

Good morning everyone. I am just finishing up a oak and cherry dresser for my 3 year old. I'm curious what people.would recommend for a finish? Usually I just use minwax semigloss poly. I'm a little worried about stickers and marker mysteriously ending up on this... (Apparently the dog sneaks into her room at night and uses her stickers and markers and she doesn't have any idea how they would ever end up on things they aren't supposed to...). Just wondering if there was something that would be a better match for this situation.
    Thanks
    Evan

I think I'd let the finish cure and then apply coats of paste wax. Tough too get stickers on a wax surface.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I like using Deft Clear wood finish. You can wax it and if a sticker should leave some residue you can remove the residue with some mineral spirits and if necessary sand the area lightly and apply another coat of finish. The new finish will totally blend in even years later.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Besides finish, it’s a good idea to anchor the dresser to the wall. If more than one drawer are pulled out the whole shebang can topple over on the little one. Also, include drawer stops so the drawer doesn’t get pulled all the way out and fall onto the child.

You'd have better luck fireproofing

There are cleats already built into the back of it just for that purpose, along with the soft close drawer slides so hopefully.she doesn't smash her fingers, and should prevent the drawers from coming out

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    ... it’s a good idea to anchor the dresser to the wall.
    This is perhaps the single most important thing you need to do to help insure that a chest of drawers is safer in a child's room. In fact, it's important in non-child's spaces, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...