Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase perfects

Phase perfects

Good morning All,

A couple years ago I found a second hand Phase Perfect that a fellow had bought but never used. With that in hand I designed a 3-phase system for the shop.

Now that I've been in the shop for a year I've experienced some issues with the Phase Perfect. About every two weeks for the last six weeks it simply won't turn on. Flip the switch and nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Even worse: I've called Phase Perfect and they haven't returned my call!

I'm just hoping it's something simple that doesn't involve shipping the unit back for repair.

You should keep trying PP. They are usually good at tech help and you may have fallen through the cracks. Do you have a blue or white one? The blue are no longer supported although the 10 hp unit might still have some parts available and the problem sounds fixable, not like a board going bad. My experience with PP has been good and they helped me with problems on a used one so keep calling. Dave

i have the white one, 10hp. I spoke with them when I was considering the purchase and it was great. I was honestly surprised to not get a call back. I'll try again Tuesday.
    David, do you start yours at the beginning of the day and turn it off at the end? Is there any reason to avoid turning it on and off throughout the day?

I'm just a hobby guy but turn it on and leave it until I quit. Mainly because I'll forget and it could stay on for weeks in the storage building. Dave

I turn mine on (10HP) when I need it, and turn it off after I've used the last 3-phase tool that day. But I've never had any issues with it (knock on wood). Just works flawlessly.

I'd try calling them again.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Update: I spoke with an awesome tech at Phase Technology's today; he walked me through testing what needed to be tested and we found that one of the line capacitors is bad. I'm replacing both. I learned that these line caps need to be replaced on a semi regular basis.

Hopefully the caps are the root of the issue but there's a chance that the control board could have a fault somewhere. If that's the case it would be a little more expensive to repair.

Right now I'm very thankful that I have multiples of almost all my machines: all the big machines will be down till I get the Phase Perfect running again!

Jeff — Glad you found the potential issue and good luck getting back up and running!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Thanks Tom! The takeaway of this experience is that it's recommended to change the line capacitors periodically. A dead short in one of those will apparently do damage to other parts of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jeff — Glad you found the potential issue and good luck getting back up and running!

Another update: two shiny new capacitors showed up today in big brown truck. Fifteen minutes later I had a Phase Perfect that worked again!
    After it was working I called Phase Technologies again to report the success. I learned that the line capacitors should be checked yearly and replaced every three years. Also learned that the unit can be turned on and off as much as you'd like during the day.
    Hopefully I've fixed the issue completely but only time will tell!

Well, it was bliss for a couple days but then the same issue reappeared: turn it on and nothing!

After speaking with my favorite tech at Phase Technologies we figured out that 1) the power board was getting power and 2) the control board was getting power. That info led us to assume that the control board is bad.

So, on Monday I'll be keeping an eye out for the big brown truck again!

Sorry to hear of the fix was short term. Hopefully the new board will fix everything. I turn mine on and off all the time. It uses 150 W so I’d rather not pay the electricity if I’m not using it

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Sorry to hear of the fix was short term. Hopefully the new board will fix everything. I turn mine on and off all the time. It uses 150 W so I’d rather not pay the electricity if I’m not using it
    I wish I was back running my 20hp rpc, its basically free letting it run vs. real pole power.

What do you run now Darcy?

The unit I have used 3.6 amps/hour at idle but I still seem to turn it on and off throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    What do you run now Darcy?

The unit I have used 3.6 amps/hour at idle but I still seem to turn it on and off throughout the day.
    1400 amp 240v 3phase service. A rpc is cheap.

Everybody cross your fingers: today I should have a control board to install and hopefully fix this thing!