Thread: 1-1/2 hp on a 1951 Delta Milwaukee?

1-1/2 hp on a 1951 Delta Milwaukee?

I currently have an old Delta 3/4 hp, 1725 rpm motor that appears to be original. Is the frame structure strong enough to run a 1-1/2 hp motor, 3450 rpm motor? I realise I will have reduce the motor pulley to maintain blade speed.
    My main concern is rigidity of the frame. I have a newer 14" Delta X5 that has a 1-1/2 / 2.0 hp motor rated at 14 amps. The frame appears to be the same. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gilbert
    Attached Images Attached Images

The strength of the frame has nothing to do with the motor at all. Way more of a consideration for how much tension can be applied to the blade. Go for it,I can not see an issue.

The old motor may be bigger but I would not try to install a new motor inside the same frame. Just bite the bullet and buy a complete motor which already has a frame.
    Or use the old motor as a jackshaft, belt driven by the new motor. that is sometimes done on direct drive saws.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    I currently have an old Delta 3/4 hp, 1725 rpm motor that appears to be original. Is the frame structure strong enough to run a 1-1/2 hp motor, 3450 rpm motor? I realise I will have reduce the motor pulley to maintain blade speed.
    My main concern is rigidity of the frame. I have a newer 14" Delta X5 that has a 1-1/2 / 2.0 hp motor rated at 14 amps. The frame appears to be the same. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Gilbert
    Hi Gilbert,

Now that I have reread your post, it is actually unclear to me whether you are asking about the motor mounting frame or the actual band saw frame. Assuming that you are asking about the motor mounting frame, then here is what I said:

"If your 1-1/2 hp motor will physically fit into the same frame (I assume that it is NEMA 56 or similar mount from your photo) then you will be fine. Otherwise, these frames are very inexpensive to purchase if you want or need a new one. The photo below shows a NEMA 56Z mount with 1 1/2 HP motor."

If you are asking about the strength of the actual band saw frame, then I believe that you will be fine with the larger motor. I'm really not sure why you would need to tension your blade more just because you have increased the hp of your motor. I could see Mike's point if in addition to the larger motor, you are installing a wider blade for resawing. Perhaps you could elaborate on your intended use of the upgraded saw.

David

Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-31-2019 at 1:53 AM.

I put a horse, and a half Baldor on my 14" Delta/Milwaukee, and it works fine. It's still a flexible framed, cast iron 14" saw though, so blade size limit has not changed. I put about every upgrade on it available, and then, some years later, when Rikon came out with the 10-326 for $900, I remember wishing that I hadn't gone to all that trouble.

Only trouble will be putting a small enough pulley on the motor. Machine builders always minimize the size of the pulleys to save cost. So it now has about a 2" pulley which is marginal to transmit 3/4 hp. You will need a larger one for 1 1/2 hp, maybe 3" That means a much larger one on the lower arbor. Then you will have to fabricate a belt guard.

My compliments on your saw's appearance. It looks to be in excellent shape for its' age.

I have 2 similar saws. The one for wood is the same era as yours, with the bolted stand. The metal/wood one is older & has the welded stand.

I am understanding your question on the "frame" to be directed at the stand "frame", not the saw or motor housing. If so;

While the welded stands are stronger than the bolted ones, they are still sufficiently strong enough for a 1.5 hp motor. I have had one on my wood MD 14" for perhaps 20 years now with no ill effect. It also has a 3450 rpm motor. The set up works. The lower pulley is smaller than ideal or what I would prefer. It has a cogged AX type belt. Also, it ain't broke, so I am not fixing it until I get sufficiently motivated to do so my an excellent deal on a replacement motor.

As others have posted above & from the outside looking in, my opinion is that you are likely to encounter problems with the 3450 rpm motor speed depending upon your upper wheel size. If starting from scratch, I would purchase a motor in the 1725 to 1800 rpm range. But, it you already have the 3450 rpm motor....

Pulley size relative to the lower pulley size be worked within to some degree by mounting the motor higher on the stand thereby moving the pulley higher in the belt guard. It you are using a 3450 rpm motor, that probably will not be a problem was you will probably need to go to a small lower motor pulley in order to keep your blade speed within reason. Larger upper pulley size within the guard is not so easily solved.

A google search will get you a number of blade speed calculators. Here is one I have used in the past & was very satisfied with the results it produced on my wood saw. http://vintagemachinery.org/math/sfpm.aspx The blade speed really makes a difference in the way a saw cuts, "feels" & in its' safety. Take your time & select wisely.

Good luck with the project.

Yes, I was referring to frame of the bandsaw itself. The current motor frame is a steel sheet with slotted holes for a 56 frame motor. The old bandsaw calculates to a speed of 2172 fpm with 1725 rpm motor, 2.75" motor pulley and a 8" upper pulley.

The newer X5 bandsaw calculates a speed of 3089 fpm using a 3450 rpm motor, 2.18" motor pulley and a 9" upper pulley.
    If I swap to a 3450 rpm motor n the old bandsaw, I can duplicate the pulley size of the newer X5 bandsaw.

Sounds like it is ok to go with the 3450 rpm motor on the Milwaukee and change pulley size(s).
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 08-31-2019 at 5:40 PM.