Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard impregnating finish?

Thinking that I should hold onto my pocketbook until after I try rolling and brushing this 2-part Epifanes... since a sprayer will blow away some of that spendy finish! If I do get something I'll probably not get Fuji's base model, but a 3- or 4-stage unit.

For brushing I'd have better application success thinning the top coats, but the Epifanes guy said not to. Makes the finish brittle.
    Last edited by Ralph E Burns; 09-18-2019 at 5:29 PM.

You would think you use more finish spraying because of the overspray but brushing the finish you tend to apply it thicker so brushing uses about the same amount or less finish than spraying.

Any varnish you shouldn't thin it more than 10%. If you over thin a varnish it can screw with the sheen of the finish, making it duller than it was intended. If you end up brushing the finish use as soft a brush as you can find and apply the varnish as thin as you can with as few strokes as possible. They more you brush a varnish the more the brush marks will show. If it's still warm where you are you can add some flood penetrol to the finish. It will slow the drying time down to minimize brush marks. The brush makes grooves in the finish and needs to flow together before it sets up.

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one recommended a dewaxed shellac (like Zinsser SealCoat) as an initial seal coat prior to other finishes? I'm no expert, and I don't know, but I've found the "fuzzies" from baltic birch to drive me a bit nuts unless I seal coat prior to final finish. Perhaps it's unnecessary. Interested for myself.
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hyde View Post
    ... a dewaxed shellac (like Zinsser SealCoat) .
    One more thing for me to learn about! I'm curious how Zinsser SealCoat is advertised as a pre-stain conditioner for softwoods. Right now my baltic ply has been random-sanded with 240 grit and GF gel stain applied. Think I worked too slow with the gel stain, live and learn.

Yesterday the 2-part Epifanes Polyurethanes arrived. Spendy!
    Tomorrow a Fuji sprayer arrives! I bought 4-stage for a little more pressure and less thinning.
    The garage will get completely emptied this weekend and squeaky-cleaned for makeshift paint booth, and practice will begin!

There are no fuzzies tho, and methinks that I'll have to put down several coats of gloss poly at 24-hr intervals before a hard cure and flat sand and final satin coats.

P.S. It all worked out great! There was a learning curve, and a bug dancing on it, so it ended up getting many coats of Epifanes 2-part polyurethane.
    2019-11-06_Sprinter_Wood_Floor_204532sm.jpg