Thread: I don't think this is supposed to happen...

I don't think this is supposed to happen...

Went out to my shop last night and started to setup my router table. When I went to grab my dust collection hose this is what I saw. This hose is less than a year old and has had very little use. Bummer.

2019-08-29 16.21.17.jpg

That's disappointing. It also looks like the hose I returned to Rockler because it didn't look like a quality product. Where did you get it so that everybody else can avoid a similar fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    That's disappointing. It also looks like the hose I returned to Rockler because it didn't look like a quality product. Where did you get it so that everybody else can avoid a similar fate.
    It's one of Rockler's expandable hoses. I have my table saw ducted and everything else gets hooked up using this hose so I am without dust collection for a while till I either get this replaced or figure out a new solution. I sent Rocker the pic and I am waiting to see if they are going to do anything about it.

Feel like I dodged a bullet on that one. Hopefully they'll make it up to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    It's one of Rockler's expandable hoses. I have my table saw ducted and everything else gets hooked up using this hose so I am without dust collection for a while till I either get this replaced or figure out a new solution.
    Maybe a short piece of 4" PVC, with a couple of hose clamps to splice it back together temporarily?

I've emailed Rockler twice and have yet to hear back. Pretty disappointed.

Tim, I've been very pleased with the Powertec hoses that I've acquired from Amazon including the cost.

5" example . https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's really disappointing to hear that Rockler has not responded to your inquiries about a resolution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 on Powertec; that's what I use (6", 4", and 2 1/2") and have no issues. I will say, however, that I don't have a situation where they are regularly moved and pulled and flexed like in OP's case; but they seem quite sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tim, I've been very pleased with the Powertec hoses that I've acquired from Amazon including the cost.

5" example . https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's really disappointing to hear that Rockler has not responded to your inquiries about a resolution.
    I have some Powertec stuff and I like it. The reason I went with this particular hose is because it's expandable to 28' (debatable). I have my DC ducted to my table saw and then use the expandable hose on my router table, jointer, planer, and bandsaw. Other than the bandsaw, the tools I use with this hose are all within 10' of the DC so it doesnt even stretch. And it didn't break while stretching. It broke while being hung up. I don't freak out if stuff breaks but it does stick in my craw when a company ignores customer service inquiries.

After four unreturned emails I called their customer service line (was trying email because they said 1 day turnaround and I wanted them to see what happened to the hose). Got right through on the phone and they are sending me a new hose. Disappointed in the email service obviously but glad they are sending out a new hose.