Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A quick Ear muff comparison

Got my 2 pair yesterday. First impression is positive. They certainly fit tight over my ears, at least compared to my 35 year old Silencios that I've been using. Will put them to the test this Tuesday in a pretty loud production shop.

I also noticed how compact they store. Very nice. They'll fit better in my small duffel I carry all the gear in.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    A nice feature of the Fnova’s is their ability to close up snuggly when not in use, a feature I wish the 3M muffs had. I always have to double check the 3M’s for shop critters..
    That's not good. The yellow 3M I use and most of the others in my shop are tight when at rest.

ear_muff_hearing_protection.jpg

Maybe they've learned from early mistakes.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I ordered a pair of Peltors, these are much better than the other two 3m ear covers I have.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Good info.
    Due to me and the summer heat not getting along very well, I dislike wearing over-the-ear hearing protection in the summer months. I researched and found these:
    Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB
    https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-earplugs/

I found that I really like the comfort of these and especially with them form-fitting to my own ears. Comfortable and not hot and sweaty like my over-the-ear muffs. They work about as well as my other ear muffs in the shop but for extended noise operations, I will wear these and a light pair of ear muff style to reduce the noise even further. May be a bit over-kill but I already have some level of hearing loss.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Decibullz

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Good info.
    Due to me and the summer heat not getting along very well, I dislike wearing over-the-ear hearing protection in the summer months. I researched and found these:
    Decibullz - Custom Molded Earplugs, 31dB
    https://www.decibullz.com/custom-molded-earplugs/

I found that I really like the comfort of these and especially with them form-fitting to my own ears. Comfortable and not hot and sweaty like my over-the-ear muffs. They work about as well as my other ear muffs in the shop but for extended noise operations, I will wear these and a light pair of ear muff style to reduce the noise even further. May be a bit over-kill but I already have some level of hearing loss.
    I see Amazon carries those too. https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Ear.../dp/B00WIXL4UM And other models with sound "filters".

I often wear the muff ear protection over earplugs for very loud sounds. I don't think I have hearing loss (other than what's normal with age) but My Lovely Bride says I can't hear 1/2 of what she says...

JKJ

I have never found and over ear protection that is as effective as in-ear foam plugs (although I know some don't find these comfortable). In addition, I generally don't find the over ear protection comfortable, except for my wireless Bose (which I really want to save for use out of the shop given their quality and cost).

I have used Moldex Spark Plugs for years. Usually a search can find a great price on them online in larger quantities. For me, they just cut out more noise, are more comfortable, and work well with the Trend Airshield mask I use in the shop (especially when turning).

I got used to wearing foam plugs because after a few hours, my glasses would start to dig in. The Howard Leight (Honeywell) MAX that I've been getting in bulk have an NRR of 33.

As a side note, bone conduction headphones work well with the in-ear plugs!
    JR

Wore the Frovals all day yesterday in the production shop. They performed a bit better than my old Silencios, however due to the age of my old muffs, that may not be a meaningful comparison. They definitely fit tightly over the ears. I had to pull the Frovals off the ears to slide safety glasses on, but I can certainly live with that. I had no problem hearing others speaking. So, IMHO, that is money well spent.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Yeah, I hate sweating like crazy with hot ear protection! I switched to molded plugs, nothing on my head but safety glasses.
    Where did I put those band aids?

I bought some molded ear plugs and they fit great, but kept coming loose after a few minutes. I tried all three sizes of plugs they came with and re-molded them a couple times, but alas my ears are weird shaped or something that would not allow the plugs to stay in. They were the decibullz.

Anyone ever tried behind the head ear protection? Similar to these....

41TIOGS3a+L._SY300_QL70_.jpg

I've tried a large number of things over the years. My favorite by far are a set of custom fitted plugs. I bought got them from the audiologist about a decade back for $100, for my motorcycle, and they cannot be beat. I wear them for everything: riding, shooting, and working in the shop. Despite a decade's constant wear and tear they're still almost as good as the day I bought them. (One of them had the "tab" used to remove it come off, but I can just pull them out by the body)

Recently I've noticed that Amazon now has a DIY version of the same sort of thing. I've used this kit as well with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One minor note: when combined the two parts must be put into your ears while they cure for about 15 minutes, while they give off a quiet snap, crackle, pop sound. (Which I did not get with the version from the audiologist) Doesn't cause any problems, but it can be a bit unnerving when you've got something new in your ears.

I just received my set of FNova's Saturday. Very effective, and pretty comfortable, but I don't know that I'd want to wear them all day long (not a problem for me, as a hobbyist).

Thought it was interesting that they came packaged with a pair of foam ear plugs.

I ordered the Fnova and tried it out yesterday. I little stiff, but not uncomfortable. I found the hearing protection to be great.

I purchased a pair of 3M peltor optime 105's. They are behind the head muffs. I have found them to be very comfortable, with no annoying bar across the top of my head. Still going to be too hot for warmer weather, but I have plugs for that. They look like this...
    41TIOGS3a+L.jpg