Thread: Warped table top

Warped table top

20190829_172006.jpg20190829_174241.jpg. How would you recommend reversing this warpage? I'm at a loss for ideas. Thanks

Bring it into the house for a few weeks...if it doesn’t fix itself, ....

Dan

More photos of the yellow classic car please. What kind is it? I'm guessing early to mid 50's.
    Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-29-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Looks to me like it might bend. Then be held down by glue blocks or screws. If it must be straightened I would turn it
    upside down and put wet towels on the back side. The tops get warped by being wiped off with damp cloths. Top swells
    and gets high point in center. Cells are mashed together and get skinny . Drying out ,the narrower cells shrink even
    skinnier and make the top concave. Wet towels on back can reverse process by making those back of top cells swell then
    shrink.

If you can't mechanically fasten it down to a substructure of some sort, it's toast. Don't bother with any of the "techniques" that get past around on the internet. They're all based in faulty theories and intuitions.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    If you can't mechanically fasten it down to a substructure of some sort, it's toast. Don't bother with any of the "techniques" that get past around on the internet. They're all based in faulty theories and intuitions.
    I have seen the one I posted work and I have read it's been used at Wintertur Museum. Sometimes it does not work.
    Wintertur is not staffed by quacks.

A few steps might make it acceptable, if not perfect.

1. As Dan said, get it into a stable (air conditioned) environment for a few weeks.

2. The finish is probably different and not very moisture resistant on both sides. Refinish it on both sides, more so on the bottom.

3. Shim the hinges about 1/16" to let it sit down a bit. I assume it is hinged, if not shim it anyway.

4. If that doesn't work, rip it into 3 or 4 pieces, joint and reglue. You may need to add a little to the back edge to make up the lost kerfs. (kerves?)

5. Or just make a new top.

Typically some sort of fastener is used to hold the top in place. Clamp it back where it belobgs and then fasten it. If it starts to crack while clamping it then you will need to steam it.

it's a 52 Chevy BelAire, my brothers car and table top

Mel is correct. I’ve done it several times on antiques. I’ve used lemon oil instead of wet towels but it does work.

Did the top get wet somehow for an extended period of time, like it was kept outside? Something out of the ordinary happened it appears to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Did the top get wet somehow for an extended period of time, like it was kept outside? Something out of the ordinary happened it appears to me.
    Pledge was not invented , so they routinely improvised. Without air conditioning ,houses were pretty open and dusty.
    Ask a gramma ,or even better ,a great gramma about house cleaning with damp cloth. Men did not give up shaving just
    because it was a lot of trouble. Don't think that needs a lot of explanation. Many times a piece like op's got a splash or two
    of water every day from a water basin.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't believe it ever got "wet" maybe a little cleaning with a damp rag. I believe it has been stored in a garage attic for quite some time

Adding moisture to one side will help make it flat, but it is only useful for attaching it to the table base. It will not stay flat indefinitely. The top will always change shape as the humidity changes; it's just a property of curved growth rings and the fact that wood is hygroscopic, neither of which you can change. All you can do to keep it flat is attach it to a stronger base that will hold it flat (while allowing for expansion and contraction).

Andrew, it's called "compression ring set". And it's real.