Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller circular saw for plywood

Smaller circular saw for plywood

I'm thinking of purchasing a smaller circular saw for cutting up plywood (not finish cutting). Do any of you have any recommendations?
    Where did I put those band aids?

Blog Entries
    are you thinking cordless? Like breaking down plywood in the parking lot at the lumber yard?

The only consideration I can think of is that the motor would have to run faster to get the same cutting speed at the saw tooth.

Blog Entries
    I have a Milwaukee 6 1/2" M18 cordless that is nice. I think I've only used my corded circular saw 1 time in the last 3 or 4 years since I got the cordless one.

Makita 5 1/2" circular saw is what I use sometimes. It runs off of your wall outlet. Depth capacity, 1.75". Good for 2x4 too. Light and easier on the wrist/arm. OR the Festool track saw. For rough cutting plywood, I like the little Makita.

The Porter-Cable 314 is the holy grail of small circ saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I have a Milwaukee 6 1/2" M18 cordless that is nice. I think I've only used my corded circular saw 1 time in the last 3 or 4 years since I got the cordless one.
    Ditto!!!!!

The Porter cable saw boss is ever more holier and grailyer . If you can find on get.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I have one. It is a sweet saw.

Ive been eying that tiny Dewalt 20v cordless, anyone got one?

If you get a cordless, the first consideration is which other cordless tools do you have to share the batteries. That said, the Milwaukee fuel 12v saw works well for me.

go cordless ,has to have a brushless motor . I have the makita 6 1/2" .one of the nicest saws i have ever used . turns fast ,small,light,and easy to see the blade .The easiest saw i have ever used in terms of following a scribe or cutting freehand .it is a blade left saw .A client had the cobalt from Lowes ,blade right saw .It seemed like a great little saw .any of the brands will have something you'll like.I have 2 of the old makita corded ,5 1/2" and then an even faster smaller bladed one .they had weak bases that caused trouble when trying to follow a guide .had a few of those skill 5 1/2" . went through 3 in short time .not well made . Why would you want a cord in the way anyhow .think about how nice not having a cord in the way will be .

Agree on the cordless. I have a small Makita cordless circ and it is rare I reach for my corded circ.

You mention plywood.... a lot of talk about track saws. If you like spending $ maybe a Makita cordless track saw would be worth a look.

I have this one:
    Makita XSR01Z 18V X2 LXT

Personally, I'd get a 7 1/4" saw. If you have to occasionally break down 2" lumber or need to use this in a track, you may (as I definitely do) appreciate the additional depth. It's still remarkably light. You can use it one-handed. The absence of a cord makes it easier to store and handle even with the additional weight of batteries.

I use my DeWalt 18 volt circular saw to break up sheet stock. With the Li-Ion battery, I can break up a full 4 X 8 X 3/4 sheet of plywood into 1' squares on one charge and still have power left. I'm constantly reminded how little chip-out I get when using this saw with a fairly new DeWalt blade and how easy it is to use it with no cords dragging behind. I break up sheet stock outside my shop on a cutting table. Then, if the dimensions are really critical, I'll trim all pieces inside on my shop on my Unisaw. I don't have the room inside the shop to manage full sheets for cutting, so it's always done outside.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The Porter cable saw boss is ever more holier and grailyer . If you can find on get.
    agree 100%
    I use a DeWalt 18v at work for small cuts, rarely use one at home (have 2 ).
    At home I use a SSC 60" (nominal), panel saw for sheet goods in the garage
    down in the basement shop I use the PC Saw Boss if I need to cut something when the TS, or RAS or BS are tied up or just the wrong fit
    The PC saw Boss rarely travels and NEVER is loaned out
    old fashioned I guess, a 7 1/4 worm drive saw (have 4) does the majority of my saw work away from home